You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33789  

Print Page



©  Michael Bass

IoE Number: 33789
Location: MANOR HOUSE, WALTON STREET (south west side)
  WALTON IN GORDANO, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Michael Bass
Date Photographed: 13 April 2007
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side)ST 47 SW3/126The Manor House and attached gardenwall13.10.52(Formerly listed as Manor House)

WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side) ST 47 SW 3/126 The Manor House and attached garden wall 13.10.52 (Formerly listed as Manor House) G.V. II House. c.1700, with rear wing and extended to left c.1780, C19 and C20 alterations. Sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, rendered except for front and right return of main range, slate roofs, main range has ridge and gable stacks. Originally 3-room plan, L-plan formed by rear wing. 2 1/2 storeys and 8 windows, all 2-light casements with Gothic leaded octagonal cames and decorative catches (C20 replacements) with large stone lintels, lintel string over ground floor windows, C20 limestone Doric porch with modillion cornice, parapet and blocking course, parapet and cornice, heavy quoins up to first floor level indicating C18 alterations, 3 hipped dormers, each with 2-light casement and similar glazing; attached to left and right with straight joint, a lower 2-storey addition with hipped roof behind parapet and coping, to right has similar large 2-light casement, to left rendered with 3-light C20 casement at ground and first floor; rubble garden wall attached to front left about 3 metres high and 15 metres long, with segmental-headed opening (screening former domestic buildings, now demolished). Attached to left, 2-storey C18 wing with hipped roof, 3 windows, all C20 2-light casements, 3-light at ground floor left, glazed door to right. Left return of wing has 2 sashes at ground floor and sash with pointed arch under eaves; further 2-storey addition to left also has hipped roof behind parapet and coping, 8-pane sash at ground floor and plate-glass sash at first floor. At right return, gable end of main range shows line of roof- raising, oriel at first floor in addition with sash to front and 8-pane sash to each side; further addition built around corner of main range with 2-light casement at upper ground floor and C19 cross window, 2 lean-to's to right with 4-pane light; 2 storey rear wing has sash in exposed box off-centre at first floor and large external stack to right. Rear of main range formerly had single storey addition, raised 1969 for first floor corridor; including addition to right, rear has 7 windows, all sashes, some of C20, ground floor 3rd from left has C20 bay window and two 9-pane sashes to left of bay; set in angle to rear wing a taller 2-storey block with 1/2-glazed door with Gothic glazing bars and sash above. Inner side of rear wing has 4 windows, all sashes in exposed boxes, 2nd from left has C20 French window, cornice, parapet and coping; rear of wing has blind window at first floor. Interior: central room now entrance hall, has fireplace with eared shell and dart surround, recess to each side with cupboard with shaped shelves, one a C20 copy, boxed beams, ceiling height of central room and room to right raised. Central room leads to rear C18 staircase hall, open- well stair with twisted balusters. Roof over main range probably of C18 incorporating earlier timbers, one truss probably re-set with principal rafters and collar, one row of purlins. (Sources: drawing of Sir John Durbin's house in Walton, 1788, by S.H. Grimm, British Museum, shows earlier porch with pediment).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.