You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33798  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Evans LRPS

IoE Number: 33798
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET (south side)
  WESTON IN GORDANO, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Derek Evans LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 June 2001
Date listed: 11 October 1961
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1986
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WESTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. HIGH STREET (south side)ST 47 SW3/135Church of St. Peter and St. Paul11.10.61G.V.I

WESTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. HIGH STREET (south side) ST 47 SW 3/135 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 11.10.61 G.V. I Parish church. Tower and porch c.1300, otherwise C15, chapel mentioned in a will of 1536, C19 restorations of various dates. Tower and chapel in rubble with limestone dressings, rest in squared limestone freestone with limestone dressings, plain tiled roofs, slate pyramidal roof to tower, slate roof to porch and chapel with raised coped verges. Nave, south porch, south tower, chancel and south chapel. Early English style tower and porch, rest Perpendicular. 4-bay nave has 3 pointed arched 2-light windows, Perpendicular, to north, 2nd bay from west has round-headed door with step and hollow mouldings and hood mould, heavy studded door with wide strap hinges, wooden corbelled eaves; 3-light similar west window with hood mould, cross finial; to south, similar 2-light window and single trefoil-headed light to right of porch with flat hood mould; plinth and stone bellcote with cusped openings. Gabled porch has pointed arched opening of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould, trefoil-headed lancet over, line of former roof to sides on nave wall and external wall of stair to right; small single storey addition between porch and tower. 4-stage tower has 2-light pointed arched south window with Y-tracery and hood mould, pointed arched lancet at 3rd stage all sides, and 2-light pointed arched bell-openings at 4th stage with wooden louvres and hood mould; string courses, corbelled at 4th stage, parapet and coping, cross finial. 2-bay chancel has 5-light Perpendicular east window with pointed arch, cusped heads restored and hood mould, quatrefoil in gable and cross finial; 3-light south window with flat head and hood mould partially obscured by chapel, 2 similar 3-light north windows with continuous hood mould of Cl9 restoration. One-bay chapel has 3-light window similar to chapel to east and south, without hood mould to south because under eaves, pointed arched blocked lancet above east window, south priest's door with pointed arch, moulded surround with 2 hollow chamfers, hood mould with mask stops. Interior: nave has common, rafter roof with arched-braces, collars and brattished wall-plate, mostly C19 with some re-used timbers, particularly moulded collar purlin with 6 bosses forming 5 bays and moulding attached to arched-braces dividing bays, principal arched-braces and collar purlin painted; convex-moulded rere-arches to all windows, segmental-headed arch to north door (blocked), plain stone pulpit set in south wall with 3 steps and pointed segmental-headed opening, pointed stepped chamfered arch to tower, inner arch replaced in C20 stone, piscina to west of arch and upper rood door above piscina with projecting stone at cill, image stand with foliate underside to north of chancel arch, wide pointed chancel arch has wave mouldings and hollow chamfer; image niche with trefoil head beside south door to porch, rere-arch as to north door, pointed arched doorway has mouldings as on chancel arch, hood mould, heavy studded door with wide strap hinges. Porch has C19 common rafter roof with collars and brattished wall-plate, stone benches to sides, ogee-headed chamfered doorway to stone stair to parvise, wooden gallery across top of inner door with brattished top and panelled underside in 16 panels; Perpendicular image niche above door with painting, deep reveal to lancet in outer gable, possible holy water stoup recess to right, now blocked, inner architrave of outer door of 2 chamfered orders. Tower has ceiling with 4 chamfered beams, probably re-used, with mortices, 5 steps up to door to rood loft with segmental head, 4-centred arched chamfered opening to south chapel with mortices, possible for draw - bar to former door, set in larger pointed arched opening, probably altered when south chapel added. Chancel considerably restored in C19 has cambered moulded rere- arches to north and south windows, continuing the moulding on jamb shafts, cill string north, south and east, east window has similar mouldings around pointed arch, heavy limestone cornice; pointed arched piscina, mostly C19 restoration to south, pointed arch to chapel has wave and hollow mouldings and jamb shafts, polygonal bases to shafts. Chapel has C19 common rafter and collar roof, 2 image stands on east wall with foliate underside to left, 2 plain aumbries in south wall, segmental-headed south priest's door with 2 narrow convex mouldings, similar jamb shafts to south window. Fittings: Norman font in nave, a square bowl with scalloped sides on circular stem. Wooden pulpit in nave with 3 sides of C17 carved panels. Plain pews with lozenge-shaped poppy-heads; fine choir stalls in chancel with 8 misericords showing a peacock, foliage and human heads. C19 wooden Perpendicular style screen across chancel arch. In north wall of nave, fine Perpendicular tomb to Rychards Percyvale, 1483, with ogee crocketed hood, crocketed pinnacles, brattished top and cusped panels along front, recess above with 3 angels in haut-relief, shield of arms above canopy and grate with wrought iron railings and spear tops; marble tablet in chapel, to Henry Pyne, 1825, by Post of Bristol. C15 fragments of stained glass in east and south windows of chapel showing figures of angels, some with musical instruments. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.