© Mr Peter Bassingham
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET (west side)
BLAGDON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Peter Bassingham
31 May 2002
09 February 1961
Date of last amendment:
09 February 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 55 NW BLAGDON C.P. CHURCH STREET (west side)
10/31 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. C15 west tower, remainder 1907-9 by Sir Frank Wills.
Closely jointed squared and coursed dressed stone to tower, rockfaced rubble
squared and coursed with ashlar dressings to remainder. Nave, chancel, west
tower, north and south aisles, south porch. Impressive tall tower of 4 stages
with set back buttresses and moulded string courses, taller polygonal north east
corner stair turret with crocketted pyramidal cap and pierced quatrefoil lozenge
parapet with crocketted pinnacles. West face has deeply moulded pointed-arched
doorway with early C20 two-leaf plank door and above, a tall 4-light window under
pointed head. 2nd stage has an aedicula with crocketted side shafts and canopy
in which is set a statue of Christ as the Good Shepherd. 3rd stage has 2-light
blind window as on both 2nd and 3rd stages to both north and south faces. Bell
stage has pointed-arched openings with panelled blind tracery. Crocketted shafts
between these and at the corners developing from the buttresses. Remainder of
the church is in a mechanical Perpendicular style with 3-light windows and pierced
trefoil triangular parapets with slender crocketted pinnacles and rich gargoyles.
Interior. Fine 4-bay nave arcades with wave moulded pointed arches and foliage
capitals that are closer in style to Decorated rather than Perpendicular. Tower
has 2 orders of wave moulding to arch and fan vault to bell chamber. Rafter
roofs throughout. Chancel south wall has piscina with C12 frieze of the 4
Evangelists under canopies. Fittings. Complete set of contemporary fittings
comprising font, pulpit, rood screen, chancel screens, tower arch screen and pews
(all 1907-9). Several wall monuments reset under tower; royal coat of arms
on tower north wall: painted wooden panel dated 1826. North tower arch jamb has
a framed letter of c.1767 written by the Rev. Augustus Toplady. Particularly
fine set of stained glass in all windows dating from the rebuilding: Old Testament
figures in the north aisle, New Testament figures in the south aisle.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).