You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33928  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Bassingham

IoE Number: 33928
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, THE BATCH (west side)
  BUTCOMBE, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter Bassingham
Date Photographed: 31 May 2002
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 SWBUTCOMBE C.P.THE BATCH (west side)6/60Church of St. Michael and All Angels9.2.61G.V.II*

ST 56 SW BUTCOMBE C.P. THE BATCH (west side) 6/60 Church of St. Michael and All Angels 9.2.61 G.V. II* Anglican parish church. C15 with 1868 restoration and additions comprising south porch and north vestry. Squared and coursed rubble to main body, squared and coursed dressed stone to tower and south aisle parapet, flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone copings and C20 plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south tower, south transeptal chapel, south porch, north transept, north vestry. All windows are 2 and 3 Perpendicular lights with cusped tracery under pointed heads with hoodmoulds. Chancel has Tudor arched blocked south doorway. South tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses, moulded string courses, polygonal north west corner stair turret and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. South face has a 2-cusped-light window to 1st stage and above, 2 stages of 2-light bell openings with cusped heads, quatrefoils and simple louvres. At the 2nd stage the buttressing develops into crocketted pinnacled shafts which flank 2 aedicules with crocketted and fleur de lys decorated canopies. C19 south doorway with above, a C15 niche in which is set a 1931 statue of St. George. I.C.B.S. plaque on porch west wall recording 1868 restoration. C19 plank door. Interior. Wagon roof to nave. Complex moulded chancel arch with further arches either side to small 2 bay transept on the north and tower and transeptal chapel on the south. Arch between tower and chapel has dying imposts. Wagon roof to chancel, compartmented roof to chapel restored 1923. Perpendicular statue niche in south chapel east wall. Fittings. Nave at south door has octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels and Perpendicular style rood screen and pulpit installed in 1916 and 1919 respectively. Several C18. and C19 wall monuments under tower. Fragments of medieval stained glass in south chapel east window, late C19 stained glass in nave and chancel windows. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.