You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33938  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 33938
Location: THE OLD COURTHOUSE, BATH ROAD (south side)
  CHURCHILL, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 31 July 2000
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 45 NECHURCHILL C.P.BATH ROAD, Upper Langford (south side)9/70The Old Courthouse9.2.61II

ST 45 NE CHURCHILL C.P. BATH ROAD, Upper Langford (south side) 9/70 The Old Courthouse 9.2.61 II Detached house. Possible late C16 - early C17 origin with C19 alterations and additions. Random rubble with render to openings, stone copings and pantile roofs. L-shaped plan set at right-angles to road with shorter wing to south-west (originally longer). West front of 2 storeys with right-hand gable end wing advanced. Windows are 2 and 3-light C19 casements. 2 studded plank and batten doors, that to left-hand within moulded door frame. Porch to south-west wing is early C17, resited in 1911: moulded segmental-headed opening with imposts, flanked by engaged Corinthian columns which support a frieze and dentil cornice with restored gable over. Carved spandrels, frieze ornamented with rosettes, carved strapwork motifs to gable face. Lattice glazed fenestration to south-west wing. 3 ridge stone stacks, one of ashlar. East front has 3 windows with original (C17) chamfered wooden mullions. Interior. Inaccessible but stated to have ceiling beams, an open fireplace and wooden newel staircase. C17 home of John and Sarah Latch (monument in church). Traditional associations with the Bloody Assize. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.