© Mike Bedingfield LRPS
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH DRIVE (east side)
CONGRESBURY, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mike Bedingfield LRPS
11 June 2000
09 February 1961
Date of last amendment:
09 February 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 46 SW CONGRESBURY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE (east side)
4/97 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. C13 origin remodelled in C15 with restorations in 1825,
1856 and 1950-2. Coursed and squared rubble with flush rusticated dressed stone
quoins, stone copings and ashlar dressings, copper roof to nave, slates to chancel.
Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. Principal
windows are of 3-lights with Perpendicular cusped tracery under pointed-arched
heads with some C19 renewal and C19 face stops to hoodmoulds. Smaller, similar
2-light Perpendicular windows to nave clerestory. East window of 5 lights.
Offset buttresses to aisles with blind embattled parapets and crocketted pinnacles.
Tower of 2 stages with spire. Offset diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses,
blind embattled parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles. 2-light bell openings
on all faces except the east which has a large clock face decorated with border
cusping. Gargoyles to north face only. West facade has a doorway with deep
reveal decorated with 2 tiers of niches in the jambs; 2-leaf plank door. Above
this a 3-light C15 window under pointed head. Octagonal tapering spire with
2-light ogee-headed openings to alternate faces. North aisle with polygonal rood
stair turret, gargoyles and figure niche to parapet and north doorway of 3 orders
with C19 face stops to hoodmould and plank door. South porch with 4-centred
arched doorway and 2-leaf plank door. 3-light windows under flat head to parvise.
South doorway with fleurons in the jambs and an ogee gable with large finial.
Interior. Nave has 4-bay C13 arcades, that to the south with detached Purbeck
shafts to piers replaced in 1856. Fine face stops in the spandrels of the north
aisle arcade. Complex moulded tower arch. Barrel roof much restored but with
original bosses and intricate tracery to wall plate. Fine stone corbels : all
faces with toothache commemorating William Button (Bishop of Bath and Wells 1218-
64). Rood loft opening and stair door on north wall. Tall chancel arch with
wave moulding and faces half way up jambs. Chancel has C19 wagon roof and
double C13 piscina on south wall. Aisles have plaster ribbed vaults with face
corbels. South chapel has pointed-headed piscina and Easter sepulchre recess.
Fittings. C13 font with cable moulding on bowl supported by 4 shafts; Jacobean
font cover. C19 Early English style pulpit, C19 brass lectern. Fine C15 rood
screen with some renewal. C20 stained glass in south aisle windows, C19 glass in
east window with medieval fragments in top lights. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of
England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).