You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 34031  

Print Page



©  N.L. Stones

IoE Number: 34031
Location: AQUEDUCT TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
  WINFORD, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N.L. Stones
Date Photographed: 11 June 2001
Date listed: 04 July 1989
Date of last amendment: 04 July 1989
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following buildings shall be added to the list ST 56 SW WINFORD and 56 NW 5/163 and 6/163 CHURCH ROAD GV (north side) Aqueduct to east of the Church of Ss Mary and Peter II Aqueduct for Bristol water supply. Completed 1851, James Simpson, Engineer. Wrought iron tube, limestone piers and abutments. A run of c260 m of wrought iron pipe of ovoid section cl.4m deep and 1 m at its widest carried across a valley on 14 piers in coursed rock-faced masonry, tapered square, to concrete padstones carrying rocker bearings for the large pipe. Piers vary in height to accommodate ground profile, and the central pier is cruciform, with raking buttresses. At either end a stone revetment wall, crowned with simple iron-railing, containing reservoir in puddled clay. Very prominent in the valley to the east of the Church of Ss Mary and Peter (q.v.); the pipeline, still in use, is part of an 18 km supply line (see also Watery Lane, Winford and Harptree Combe, East Harptree, Wansdyke D.C.), and probably the oldest surviving example of such engineering.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.