You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 342065  

Print Page

© Mr Dennis Carr

IoE Number: 342065
Location: THWAITE MILL, THWAITE LANE (north side)
Photographer: Mr Dennis Carr
Date Photographed: 10 December 2004
Date listed: 12 December 1978
Date of last amendment: 12 December 1978
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE33SWROTHWELLTHWAITE LANELS10(north side)Stourton1/111Thwaite Hill

SE33SW ROTHWELL THWAITE LANE LS10 (north side) Stourton 1/111 Thwaite Hill 12th December 1978 GV II Water mill, in course of renovation as museum at time of survey (1986), 1823-25, by Hewes and Wren, millwrights, on site of earlier mill. Red brick in English bond, slate roof. Rectangular plan, with former engine house at north end, later addition at south end. 2 1/2 storeys over millrace, 9 bays with 4-bay addition at south end; on west side, centre and right-hand end each have a segmental-arched inlet to water wheels (protected by iron bar grills); ground and lst floors have loading doors to 3rd and 7th bays (the former blocked), and rectangular windows, all these openings with rectangular stone lintels (most renewed), attic has gabled dormers with wooden louvred openings. Canted engine house at north end, with circular chimney rising from it; addition at south end of less interest. East side has similar openings, but with doorways instead of loading doors, windows with renewed glazing. Interior 2 low breast-shot water wheels of 18 feet diameter, respectively 14' 6" and 8' 6" wide, with associated gearing, drives etc. History: built for oil-seed and corn griding, but converted as putty mill in 1870's continuing in that use until breach of weirs in 1976.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.