© Mr A J Ridsdale ARPS
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ABERFORD ROAD (north side)
BARWICK IN ELMET AND SCHOLES, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr A J Ridsdale ARPS
13 October 1999
22 July 1986
Date of last amendment:
22 July 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BARWICK IN ELMET AND SCHOLES ABERFORD ROAD
SE4037 LS15 (north side),
17/17 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Fragmentary remains of Anglo Saxon and Norman church; C14 chancel;
C15 aisles, clerestorey and tower, repaired with new parapet and pinnacles c1869;
mid C16 south porch and chancel vestry doorway; early C19 vestry; restored 1844-55
by G. Fowler Jones (York) under a scheme devised by Sir G. Gilbert Scott. Large
dressed stone, limestone to lower half of tower, Welsh blue-slate roof. West
tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel, north vestry. Perpendicular style.
Continuous plinth, diagonal buttresses at all corners. Tower: 2-stage embattled
tower. West face has pointed-arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders under hoodmould;
3-light window above has panel tracery, hoodmould with carved face stops; above
left, niche with sculpture of the benefactor Sir Henry Vavasour holding in his hands
a block of stone, inscription under has date 1455; another niche above to right
(vacant) has inscription of Richard Burnham; large clock-face below 2nd stage band;
2-light belfry window, parapet carried on corbel table. South face: 5 small
arrow slits one above the other to light stair. Nave: 4 bays. Porch set in
2nd bay of aisle has pointed-arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders, hoodmould;
above, much-weathered niche in apex of coped gable with kneelers. Set within,
2-centred arched doorway with richly-moulded surround, hoodmould with carved face
stops. Porch has 2-bay arch-braced roof with moulded principals, purlins and
ridge piece. Aisles have 3-light traceried windows set in square chamfered
surrounds (all renewed C19), articulated by offset buttresses. Clerestorey has
2-light windows with cusped lights and sunken spandrels in square double-chamfered
surrounds. Coped gable to nave surmounted by carved apex-stone with cross.
Lean-to aisles have coping, and in their inner return, 3-light 2-centred arched
windows formerly to chapels. East gable of nave has earlier flatter roof line of
chancel now more steeply pitched. Chancel: lower, 3 bays; Anglo-Saxon herringbone
masonry to each face, renewed windows one retaining original limestone double-
chamfered surround, articulated by offset buttresses; 1st bay has added vestry
at right angles with, in its gable, pointed-arched sash window with Gothick glazing.
East end: chancel has 5-light window with curvilinear tracery (renewed) set within
original hollow-chamfered surround with much-weathered hoodmould; C19 coped gable
surmounted by cross. To right, vestry faced in limestone has doorway with wedge
lintel flanked by pointed-arched windows with Gothick glazed sashes.
Interior: pointed-arched arcades of 2 orders carried on octagonal columns
with monolithic capitals; tall tower arch of 2 chamfered orders with broach
stops, moulded capitals decorated with fleurons. C19 hammer-beam roof.
C19 chancel arch carried on corbels with carved heads. Chancel: Norman window
with deeply-splayed sides, projecting moulded cornice. Curious vestry doorway
has ogee lintel and hollow chamfered surround with Decorated hoodmould, carved
face stops of crowned kings. 3-bay C19 hammer-beam roof with finely-carved
angels. Set below east window, corners of earlier window at lower level.
Furnishings: hexagonal Georgian pulpit with oak raised-and-fielded panels,
carved mouldings and inlaid panels, dentil cornice, carved reading desk on
consoles. C19 pews. Monuments: memorial to William Eamonson of Lazingcroft
c1781 has segmental broken-pediment surmounted by urn, apron decorated with
shells. 2 marble monuments, memorials to the Wilkinsons of Potterton Hall (q.v.).
Raised stone slab with the Gascoigne coat above medieval grave slab. Monument
to William Vevers of Scholes c1767 has segmental pediment surmounted by open
triangular pediment, cartouche with heraldic coat. Good memorial to William
Ellis of Kiddal Hall (q.v.) c1771. Royal Coat of Arms. C19 stained glass: east
window by Clayton and Bell (London) c1867, east window of north aisle c1858 for
the Gascoigne family with heraldic symbols and knights in C17 armour and tabards.
Preserved in south aisle, 2 important fragments of C10 cross shafts, one with
interlace design of Ringerike type, the other of Christ blessing children.
R. A. Carter, Yorkshire Churches, (1976) p7.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) p95.
D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture,(1978) p379.
F. L. Fleetwood, church guide, (1983).
R. Thoresby, Ducatus Leodiensis (1715) p234.