You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 342205  

Print Page



© Mr Mark Sunderland

IoE Number: 342205
Location: BOWCLIFFE HALL, GREAT NORTH ROAD (west off)
  BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Mark Sunderland
Date Photographed: 04 September 2007
Date listed: 30 March 1966
Date of last amendment: 03 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPEGREAT NORTH ROADSE44SWLS23(west side, off)1/44Bowcliffe Hall and30.3.66

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE GREAT NORTH ROAD SE44SW LS23 (west side, off) 1/44 Bowcliffe Hall and 30.3.66 attached screen walls (Formerly listed as Bowcliffe Hall) II Mansion, now offices,and attached screen walls. Circa 1805 for William Robinson, completed c.1825 for John Smyth, subsequently altered and enlarged for Lane Fox family (of Bramham Park, q.v.). Magnesian limestone ashlar, slate roof. Long rectangular double-pile plan. Two and 3 storeys, 15 x 3 bays, in classical style; symmetrical tripartite composition with 2-storey 5-bay centre flanked by 5-bay wings of 2 lower storeys (but 2nd storey added to left wing), each element itself symmetrical. Centre block has 3-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, Tuscan porch protecting panelled door with semicircular fanlight, and above the porch a tripartite window with Ionic architrave including an apron with blind balustrade and segmental pediment breaking the modillioned cornice of the major pediment above; sillbands to both floors, 12-pane sashed windows, modillioned cornice and low parapets to the outer bays. The wings are slightly set back, each has a slightly-projected 3-bay centre, the centre of which has a coved niche containing a statue at ground floor and an oculus above; a sillband and four 12-pane sashes at ground floor, 4 square 6-pane sashes at 1st floor, a moulded cornice and low parapet (stepped up over the projected centre); right wing has an urn on the centre of the parapet; left wing has an added 2nd storey in matching style, with 12-pane sashes; low-pitched hipped roofs with ridge chimneys. Attached to the outer end of each wing, a quadrant screen wall with a doorway. Return walls and rear in similar style. Interior: contains entrance hall and imperial staircase with Ionic screen at ground floor and Corinthian screen at 1st floor. History: William Robinson, the 1st builder, was a Manchester cotton spinner, became bankrupt and completed only the right (west) wing; building completed by John Smyth; in later C19 purchased and enlarged by Lane Fox family as residence during dereliction and repair of Bramham Park (q.v.); in C20 was home of Robert Blackburn, founder of Blackburn Aircraft Company.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.