You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 342704  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Briggs

IoE Number: 342704
Location: DANDY MILL, WATER LANE (east side)
Photographer: Mr Peter Briggs
Date Photographed: 25 February 2003
Date listed: 15 November 1988
Date of last amendment: 15 November 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PONTEFRACTWATER LANESE 42 SE(east side)3/65Dandy Mill

PONTEFRACT WATER LANE SE 42 SE (east side) 3/65 Dandy Mill II Windmill; tower now farm store. Dated 1819. For Boreas Union Mill Company. Bitumened red brick in English garden wall bond, 6-storey tower tapering inwards and set on steeply-battered base; the top 10 courses rebuilt in stretcher bond. Most openings are aligned vertically and have segmental header brick arches. Original windows have projecting stone sills and the openings are almost square in shape. South side has ground-floor doorway; first- and second-floor openings, formerly doorways since then partly-blocked to form windows; no fourth- or fifth- floor openings. West side: first-floor window has ashlar lintel inscribed "BOREAS Union Mill 1819". East side ground-floor doorway. Interior: floors supported on a single beam but floors damaged when machinery removed during World War II. The sails and cap had been removed before that, as the mill worked latterly on a gas turbine. This is now the only remaining windmill in Pontefract, but once there were several. The original name, alluding to the north wind, also indicated an early farmers' co-operative concern, typical of the early 19th century, aimed at breaking the old manorial monopoly of milling. There is no sign of a balcony

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.