You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 34916  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Clark LRPS

IoE Number: 34916
Location: THE PRIORY, CASTLE STREET (west side)
Photographer: Mr Peter Clark LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 May 2001
Date listed: 21 September 1952
Date of last amendment: 17 December 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

THORNBURYCASTLE STREET4/16ST 6390(west side)21.9.52No 17 (The Priory)

THORNBURY CASTLE STREET 4/16 ST 6390 (west side) 21.9.52 No 17 (The Priory) (formerly listed as The Priory) GV II* C15 origin, altered in C16 and C17 (north wing added). Formerly one long property with adjoining No 15. Rendered. Pantile roof. Two storeys. Two windows: to left 2 storey bay with 1-4-1 light moulded mullion casement windows, elaborately moulded sills and cornice; to right 4-light mullioned and transomed window and bay on ground floor with moulded sill. Central 6-panel door under porch. Plank door to left. Two storey rear wing. Interior: Ground floor: Hall, chamfered stone fireplace with square head. Stop-chamfered beams. Parlour: panelling of small square and rectangular panels. Dog-leg stair with turned balusters. First Floor: Great Chamber (above Hall known as Chapel room), arch-braced collar beam roof with 2 rows of curved windbraces. Chamfered stone fireplace with shouldered head and moulded mantel-shelf. The fireplace cuts a fragment of wall-painting to the right. The design consists of a Maltese cross within a circle, and a coiled snake. Further to right is a spice cupboard with scratch mouldings on the door. Reputed to have been an ecclesiastical building. Sources: L Hall (1982). Report in NMR.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.