You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 350833  

Print Page

© Dr W A Cooper LRPS

IoE Number: 350833
Photographer: Dr W A Cooper LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 August 2006
Date listed: 26 September 1951
Date of last amendment: 26 September 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP 82 SEWINGASCOTT6/87Ascott House26.9.51

SP 82 SE WING ASCOTT 6/87 Ascott House 26.9.51 GV II* Country house. Centre part incorporates remains of timber-framed house once dated 1606, much extended from 1874 by George Devey, and later by his associates James Williams, West, Slade and Trentham, as a picturesque hunting base for Leopold de Rothschild. Further extensions to W. end, and interior much altered 1937-8. Ground floor is of red brick with irregular large blue diaper patterns, and some rubble stone to centre of rear elevation. Upper floors are of whitewashed render with half-timbering, and moulded bressumers and bargeboards. Tiled roofs. Brick chimneys: C17 part has stack partly of thin brick with 3 square shafts set diagonally; similar shafts with off-set heads to 1930's wing; other chimneys rectangular with 'V' pilasters. Part 2 storeys, part 2 storeys and attic. Long irregular front to N.W. with projecting wing to right. Leaded casements with moulded wooden mullions. Centre has flanking gabled bays with first floor jettied on brackets. Extensions to left have gabled dormers flanking gabled bay to right, central square tower with tile-hung upper section and pyramidal roof, and irregular canted bay and oriel windows. C20 double doors to centre of range. Matching wing to right has irregular gables and single storey projections in angle. N.E. end has small entrance courtyard. S.E. front is irregularly gabled.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.