You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 35116  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 35116
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  ALMONDSBURY, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 19 June 2001
Date listed: 30 March 1960
Date of last amendment: 30 March 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 58 SE ALMONDSBURYCOMPTON GREENFIELD11/19Church of All Saints30.3.60

ST 58 SE ALMONDSBURY COMPTON GREENFIELD 11/19 Church of All Saints 30.3.60 G.V. II* Parish church. c1170, C14 tower, rebuilt 1852 in Neo-Norman style by C S Fripp and restored 1896 by C.E. Ponting. Vestry 1924-5 by P. Hartland Thomas. Coursed rubble and ashlar, stone slated roof. West tower, nave and chancel, south porch, north transept, north organ chamber and north vestry. Decorated style 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, small west door with pointed arch and moulded surround, hood mould and stops and relieving arch over, 3-light window above with Y tracery, 2-light smaller windows at upper stages with bell louvres and trefoiled cusped tracery above in plain architraves, embattled parapet, stair turret with slit windows on south side. Nave has 3 windows to south and 3 to north, corbels, corbel table, stone guttering, weathered corner buttresses and a gable at the east end with coped verges and cross finial. South doorway has elaborate late Norman mouldings, the hood mould with reptile-head stops and 3 orders to the architrave of the door, chevron mouldings, double key pattern and an interlaced double chevron undercut in high relief; jamb shafts have foliate capitals. Chancel has corner buttresses, corbels and corbel table, coped verges to gable and cross finial with triple window at the east end and lancet above. Organ chamber has a pitched roof with coped verges and kneelers with a single round-headed window at the east end. Nave transept has a gable with coped verges, window and slit above. Vestry has 4-centred arched windows in ashlar surrounds, a pointed arched door, and plain cornice with parapet and coping. Small flat-roofed C20 extension on north side with small 4-centred arched door with ashlar lintel, and parapet. Interior: Tower has a west door with triangular head and 3-light Decorated window above with cusped bar tracery and 1914-18 war memorial stained glass with central figure of St. George. High, pointed arch to nave with chamfered jambs and stair tower to south with small entrance door in ashlar surround. Nave has 3 windows to south with C19 stained glass of St. Paul, Titus and Timothy and 3 plain windows to north, all round headed with deep splayed reveals and relieving arch over. Roof of 7 bays with collars and arch-braces. Restored pointed arch to north transept has jamb shafts with scalloped capitals and round headed north window at upper level in deep splayed reveals with relieving arch over. Vestry door in ashlar surround and blocked entry to organ chamber with segmental head. Chancel arch is Transitional, very pointed, jamb shafts with scalloped capitals. 4 centred arched opening to left in splayed ashlar reveal with large stop to the hood mould on the right, possibly indicating position of former rood-stair. Small slit window at apex of gable in deep splayed reveal. Chancel of 4 bays with 4 centred arched opening to organ chamber. Triple round-headed window at east end, central light being taller, with C19 stained glass of the Crucifixion, Mary and a disciple to the sides. 2 windows to south with C19 stained glass of St. Monica and Margaret. Black and white marble floor at altar end. Fittings: 2 marble monuments, to Henry Davis, 1851, and Emily Davis, 1866, both by T. Gaffin, Regent Street, London. Wooden shield with royal arms of George III over stair turret door. Octagonal perpendicular font with wooden cover. Stalls, benches, pews and pulpit of 1924-5 by P. Hartland Thomas. (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England, Gloucestershire The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.