You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 351220  

Print Page



© Mr J M Pickering

IoE Number: 351220
Location: WALLED GARDEN NORTH OF 82 TO 96 WELSH ROW, KINGS LANE
  NANTWICH, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr J M Pickering
Date Photographed: 05 March 2007
Date listed: 01 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 01 August 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 65 WFORMER URBAN DISTRICTKINGS LANEOF NANTWICH3/100Walled garden northof 82 to 96 Welsh RowII

SJ 65 W FORMER URBAN DISTRICT KINGS LANE OF NANTWICH 3/100 Walled garden north of 82 to 96 Welsh Row II GV Walls of the former walled garden of Townsend House, 1580, for Richard Wilbraham. Small red bricks in English Garden Wall Bond with stone dressing. Enclosure of quadrangle form with walls up to three metres in height. High stone plinth, of two brick thickness, with wall reducing to one and a half brick thickness above the weathered stone plinth cornice. The two section wide overhanging stone coping has coves on the underside and weathered upper surfaces to the lower section. The upper section is stepped up with weathered upper surfaces flanking a central roll. Both the plinth cornice and the coping return vertically at the many steps in the level of the wall. A small door, into the field north of the wall, has projecting stone dressed brick piers and a massive stone lintel with chamfered and slightly cambered head surmounted by a coved and weathered coping. The former Townsend House, which was visited by James I in 1617, was twice destroyed by fire and was a mainly C19 building which was demolished in 1965. Even before the final demolition, part of the site, south of the walled garden, had been used for a Magistrates Offices and Police Station and a commercial garage now occupies the site of the C19 house. Source: A History of the Town and Parish of Nantwich James Hall 1883

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.