You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 352081  

Print Page

© Dr Ann Allen ARPS

IoE Number: 352081
Photographer: Dr Ann Allen ARPS
Date Photographed: 30 April 2004
Date listed: 12 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 12 February 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for APPLEDORE 1/157 SS 4630 Richmond Dock II the grade shall be amended to II*(star) (The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 12 February l987) ------------------------------------ APPLEDORE RICHMOND DOCK 1/157 II SS 46 30 Dry-dock. 1856. Dressed stone rubble revetment walls with a pronounced concave batter, stepped out at 2 stages at the top. The inner end is rounded on plan and there are C20 lock gates at the seaward end. At intervals on the sides and at the inner end there are integral flights of steps. The floor of the dock is now concrete and there is a C20 gantry above. Timber was imported from North America in the early C19 when sources of supply from the Baltic ports were affected by the Napoleonic Wars. This trade gradually developed into shipbuilding by James Yeo whereby ships were constructed on Prince Edward Island and sailed over to the Torridge estuary for fitting out. About 55 ships from Prince Edward Island were finished here in 1843 to 1853, but these ships were actually fitted out on the fare-shore. In 1849-50 James Yeo's son William decided to build a dry-dock at Richmond Yard, then a small creek and the dock was built in 1856. It is said to have been the largest dry-dock in the Bristol Channel at the time. Sources: 1. B Greenhill, 'West Country men in Prince Edward's Isle'. 2. John Barn 'Appledore Handmaid of the Sea' 3. North Devon Museum Trust Handbook No.2 4. Peter Beacham, Devon County Council.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.