You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 356043  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 356043
Location: BLAKESWARE MANOR,
  WARE RURAL, EAST HERTFORDSHIRE, HERTFORDSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 18 May 1976
Date of last amendment: 18 May 1976
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 41NWWARE RURALBLAKESWAREWareside3/3Blakesware Manor(Formerly listed under Wareside)18.5.76

TL 41NW WARE RURAL BLAKESWARE Wareside 3/3 Blakesware Manor (Formerly listed under Wareside) 18.5.76 GV II Country house, now 5 houses. 1876-9 ('1878' on garden front) by George Devey for Mrs Hadsley Gosselin. R C chapel for Sir Martin Gosselin opened 1896, house reduced and altered 1937 after fire bv Paul Phipps, range linking chapel to house rebuilt as monastic building 1968, house subdivided with separate porches in early Renaissance style in 1980's. Red brick with blue diaper work and stone dressings. Steep red tile roofs. A tall 3-and 4-storeys scholarly neo-Tudor house, now L-shaped with the entrance court within the angle. The garden front (E) of 3-storeys has mullioned and transomed bay windows, Tudor arched doorways, and central tower with open lantern. Chapel in matchinq style with steep tiled roof and panelled E end. The country house of 1876-9 replaced a brick house of 1664 built for Sir Thomas Leventhorpe of Sawbridgeworth which Charles Lamb described under the name of Blakesmoor (demolished in 1822). (VCH (1912) 389: Pevsner (1977) 406: RCHM Typescript).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.