© Dr Michael Philpot
BROMLEY COLLEGE, HIGH STREET (north east side)
BROMLEY, BROMLEY, GREATER LONDON
Dr Michael Philpot
29 October 1999
10 January 1955
Date of last amendment:
10 January 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. HIGH STREET, BROMLEY
4407 (North East Side)
TQ 46 NW 5/39 10.1.55
A tablet on the building records that:- "This College for twenty Poore
Widowes (of orthodoxe and loyall clergymen) and a Chaplain was given by
John Warner Late Lord Bishop of Rochester 1666". The building consists of
2 courtyards of red brick. The west courtyard dates from 1670 onwards.
Its main front faces west. It consists of a central portion and 2 advanced
wings forming the Chaplain's and the Treasurer's houses. 2 storeys, semi-
basement and attaic. The centre has 12 windows and 12 gabled dormers, the
wings 2 windows and 1 dormer each. Brick stringcourse. Wooden modillion
eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Buttresses support the front between the windows.
Casement windows with wooden mullions and transomes. Wide central gateway up
5 steps with iron handrail. Rusticated round-headed stone archway with
engaged Doric columns, curved pediment and cartouche of the arms of John
Warner, Bishop of Rochester. The south front of this courtyard has 16
windows and 10 dormers. The inner face of this side of the courtyard and
of the north side opposite have doorways in moulded architrave surrounds
with heavy pediment shaped hoods over, and on each side of these a round
window with a round-headed window over it. In the centre of the east
front of the courtyard is the Chapel which projects into the east courtyard.
This was contemporary with the foundation but was rebuilt by Waring and
Blake in Decorated style in 1863. The east courtyard is a replica of the
west one but without the buttresses. It was built in 1794-1805 with money
left by William Pearce, brother of Dr Zachary Pearce, Bishop of Rochester,
and by Mrs Bettinson in 1782 and 1788 respectively to provide 20 more houses
for the same purpose.