You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 35858  

Print Page



© Mr Alan Whitcroft ARPS

IoE Number: 35858
Location: BAILEY HILL WATER TOWER, WEST HILL ROAD
  LUTON, LUTON, BEDFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alan Whitcroft ARPS
Date Photographed: 04 August 1999
Date listed: 20 February 1981
Date of last amendment: 20 February 1981
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WEST HILL ROAD5123Bailey Hill WaterTowerTL 0920 4/3II

WEST HILL ROAD 1. 5123 Bailey Hill Water Tower TL 0920 4/3 II 2. 1901. Bold Arts and Crafts design comparable with work of Townsend. Design consultant Henry T Hare. Luton grey bricks, stone dressings. Square plan on splayed plinth with stone mouldings, and rounded demi tower at each corner, the north-west one forming stair tower with narrow slit casement windows. The north face has a low broad round arched deeply recessed ground floor entrance in stone. On other 3 faces at first floor level is a single round headed mullioned and transomed window, with iron glazing bars, quoining and splayed cill. At upper level all four faces have a pair of 2 light mullioned windows with iron glazing bars. Above these, each face has a heavy rectangular stone balcony supported on three pairs of brackets and with a projecting spout at each end. Above the balcony, a broad round headed arch springs from the demi towers to form a recess, within which a central door surmounted by a tripartite keystone gives access to the balcony and is flanked on either side by 4 casements windows with iron glazing bars. Upper section of tower decorated with stone bands of various widths. Pyramidal roof of stone slates with deeply projecting eaves, a winged figure acting as a corbel or bracket support at each of the four corners. Small hipped dormer to each face of roof. Built to supply water to Stopsley after the drought of 1898. (W Austin, Luton and Its Hamlets, 1928, II p 213).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.