You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 360894  

Print Page



© Dr John Airlie Hunter

IoE Number: 360894
Location: ASHLEY ST LEDGERS (6 COTTAGES), 30-35 MAIN STREET (north side)
  ASHBY ST LEDGERS, DAVENTRY, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Photographer: Dr John Airlie Hunter
Date Photographed: 10 August 2001
Date listed: 18 January 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 March 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ASHBY ST.LEDGERSMAIN STREETSP5668(North side)16/34Nos.30,31,32,33,34 and 3518/01/68(Formerly listed as Nos.30 to35 Ashley St. Ledgers (6

ASHBY ST.LEDGERS MAIN STREET SP5668 (North side) 16/34 Nos.30,31,32,33,34 and 35 18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Nos.30 to 35 Ashley St. Ledgers (6 cottages)) GV II Row of 6 cottages. Datestone 1908/I.G. By Sir Edwin Lutyens for Ivor Guest, Lord Wimborne. Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble plinth, upper walls brick with pebbledash, stone buttresses, thatch roof, brick stacks. Symmetrical plan with two wings projecting from front. Centre: two storeys and attic; 9 bays. 2 bay wings have pyramid shaped hipped roofs descending to lintels of ground floor windows, and massive stacks at apex. Similar low roof line to outer bays. Central passage way with moulded stone 4-centred arch with ornamental date plaque above. All doorways and windows have pebbledash surrounds. Doorways in central block in third bay from left and third from right, with flat timber hoods and ribbed plank doors. Doorways in left and right sides of flanking wings have half-glazed doors. All windows are 2-light casements, except in outer bays, which have canted bay windows. 4 half dormers to central block and roof dormers to flanking wings. Attic windows to end cottages in side walls. Half-hipped roof. Interior not inspected. Each cottage was noted by L.Weaver in 1913 as having a kitchen, scullery, parlour and 3 bedrooms. (L. Weaver, Houses and Gardens by E.L. Lutyens, 1913, p.162 and lbs, illustration and plan).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.