You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 362117  

Print Page



© Mr Ian Liston

IoE Number: 362117
Location: COVERED CANAL DOCK WAREHOUSE,
  EYTON UPON THE WEALD MOORS, TELFORD AND WREKIN, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Ian Liston
Date Photographed: 13 June 2005
Date listed: 23 February 1978
Date of last amendment: 23 February 1978
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EYTON-UPON-THE-WEALD-MOORSWAPPENSHALL JUNCTION5362Covered canal dock warehouseSJ 61 SE 28/25223.2.78

EYTON-UPON-THE-WEALD-MOORS WAPPENSHALL JUNCTION 1. 5362 Covered canal dock warehouse SJ 61 SE 28/252 23.2.78 II GV 2. Circa 1835-40, a fine 3-storey warehouse with a through canal dock, the upper floor carried on arcades over the canal branch. Round-headed windows to side on upper floors with gauged brick arches, fixed iron glazing bars, some blocked on top floor. Gable-ended slate roof with stepped brick eaves. The ridge line is extended out to cover hoist in north-east gable, above 2-storey central hatch opening with segmental arch. Cambered arch opening over canal. A similar arch carrying towpath bridge at south-west end. The internal dock has cambered arch side openings to north-west. Internally the floors are cut by trap doors allowing goods to be hoisted directly from the barges below. Erected at the junction of the Newport branch of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal with the Shrewsbury Canal, the basin and warehouses were developed by the Sutherland Estate and not the Canal Company.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.