You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 362126  

Print Page



© Mr Ian Liston

IoE Number: 362126
Location: TURNIP LOCK, HADLEY PARK LANE
  HADLEY, TELFORD AND WREKIN, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Ian Liston
Date Photographed: 05 May 2005
Date listed: 08 April 1983
Date of last amendment: 08 April 1983
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HORTONWOODHADLEY CASTLE5362Hadley Park LaneTurnip Lock, Hadley ParkLock and adjoining bridgeSJ 61 SE 28/261

HORTONWOOD HADLEY CASTLE 1. 5362 Hadley Park Lane Turnip Lock, Hadley Park Lock and adjoining bridge SJ 61 SE 28/261 II 2. Circa 1796. Two locks of the disused Shrewsbury Canal which was begun in 1793 by Joseph Clowes. Clowes died in 1795 and was replaced by Thomas Telford as chief engineer. The canal was completed in 1796. Features of interest on the canal include Telford's cast-iron aqueduct at Longdon-on-Tern, the inclined plane at Trench and these locks also designed by Telford, with guillotine gates. Hadley Park lock and Turnip lock are the only locks on the canal to retain their original mechanism. Including the adjoining bridge to the north of Hadley Park lock; small brick round arched road bridge with parapets with stone coping, much restored in C19.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.