© Mr Richard Storey
ICKWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Mr Richard Storey
30 June 2006
14 July 1955
Date of last amendment:
14 July 1955
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 86 SW ICKWORTH
2/96 Ickworth House
Large country mansion, begun 1795 by Francis Sandys after designs by Mario
Asprucci, for Frederick 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry, who died 1803
before completion of house. Work completed 1821-1829 for Frederick William
Hervey, 5th Earl and 1st Marquis of Bristol. Stuccoed brick; slated and leaded
roofs. Central rotunda 105 ft. high with domed and balustraded top; central
entrance portico of 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high, supporting pediment.
Rotunda encircled by lower order of Ionic pilasters and upper order of
Corinthian pilasters through 2 storeys; 2 giant bas-relief friezes by the
Carabelli brothers after Flaxman's illustrations of Horner. Segmental 1-storey
corridors on both flanks, linking with East and West wings 2 storeys high, each
with central pediment on 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high. The total frontage
is 625ft. Interior fittings mainly complete by 1830, including fine marble
fireplace in Library, Scagliola columns in Library and Entrance Hall, and coved
ceilings in corridors. The Pompeian Room decorated by J.D. Crace in 1879.
Remodelling of main staircase in rotunda and of East wing by Reginald
Blomfield, 1909. Now owned by the National Trust; for illustrations and
description, see their Official Guide.