You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 363203  

Print Page

© Mr John Cano-Lopez

IoE Number: 363203
Photographer: Mr John Cano-Lopez
Date Photographed: 26 July 2005
Date listed: 11 August 1952
Date of last amendment: 11 August 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ASHBY RECREATION GROUND5390StainesThe London StoneTQ 0271 9/511.8.52

ASHBY RECREATION GROUND 1. 5390 Staines The London Stone TQ 0271 9/5 11.8.52 II 2. Re-used, probably C17. Set on its present plinth 1826. It consists of a short panelled pillar-altar with the letters ... 0D.PR ... on abacus. The panels have to one side the City of London badge and to the other a monogram with 'R'. This stands on a panelled base with 3 steps. North face inscribed: "The ancient stone above this inscription is raised upon this pedestal exactly on the spot where it formerly stood. Inscribed ... City of London AD 1285." West face inscribed "The Right Honourable William Venables Lord Mayor of London and Conservator of the River of Thames viewed this western boundary of the City's jurisdiction of the said River marked by the ancient stone raised upon this pedestal. Erected AD 1285. On the 29th day of July AD 1826. God preserve the City of London". Names of mariners are on the top step, including deputy master of Trinity House.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.