You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 363337  

Print Page



© Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS

IoE Number: 363337
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH ROAD
  CRAWLEY, CRAWLEY, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS
Date Photographed: 02 April 2007
Date listed: 21 June 1948
Date of last amendment: 23 February 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHURCH ROAD5403Lowfield HeathChurch of St Michaeland All Angels

CHURCH ROAD 1. 5403 Lowfield Heath Church of St Michael and All Angels (formerly listed as TQ 24 SE 1/14 21.6.48 Church of St Michael) II* Built in 1867. Architect William Burges. Style is Early C13 French Gothic. Cnancel, north vestry, nave, western narthex and south-west tower, surmounted by pyramidal timber spire covered in oak shingles. Walls of undressed local stone laid in thin regular courses. Bath stone used for dressings. Plate tracery in wide windows of Nave, the west window a large wheel window with sculpture representing the Four Ages of Man, St Michael and the Dragon carved over west doorway. Timber narthex resting on stone plinth and having tiled lean-to roof. Nave and chancel have steeply pitched roofs covered with fishscale tiles. Internally the roofs are of pine, of 2 centred arch form, pointed, boarded in, with tie beams and tall king posts. (See Eastlake "History of the Gothic Revival" pages 416-417).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.