You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 363351  

Print Page



© Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS

IoE Number: 363351
Location: OFFICES OF THE CRAWLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL HOUSING AND ESTATES DEPARTMENT, HIGH STREET (east side)
  CRAWLEY, CRAWLEY, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS
Date Photographed: 02 April 2007
Date listed: 21 June 1948
Date of last amendment: 21 June 2048
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HIGH STREET5403(east side)No 103('The Tree')

HIGH STREET 1. 5403 (east side) No 103 ('The Tree') (offices of the Crawley TQ 2636 NE 5/28 Borough Council Housing 21.6.48 and Estates Department) II 2. Late C15 to early C16 timber-framed L-shaped open hall-house embedded in a brick and brick faced building altered and extended in the C18, C19 and circa 1936. Two storeys. Brick with part of first floor tile hung. Tiled roofs but part hung with Horsham slabs. The south wing running east and west remains substantially intact. Internally a solar of 3 bays, now 2 rooms comprise the upper storey of this wing. The trusses, which are exposed, consist of principal cambered tie-beam with supporting brackets carrying king-post, collar and central purlin supported from the King-post by 2 way struts. The main uprights of the walls of this wing are stop chamfered. A ground floor room at the west end of this wing has massive cross-beam and heavy close-set joists. The chimney beam of the open fireplace is exposed. Externally the chimney breast is of local Sussex stone and surmounted by an C18 brick chimney stack. The hall range running north and south is marked by its higher roof-ridge. Its western slope is covered with Horsham slabs. It has been much altered and floors inserted but part of its timber-framed structure is visible internally. An addition has been made on the east side forming an entrance hall. A 2-storey wing running south extending the west front was added early in the C18 when the west wall of the solar wing was faced in brick to match. The upper storey of the solar wing is tile hung. The north end of the house was rebuilt in brick in the C19 and remodelled and replanned as servants' quarters circa 1936 when the house was restored. Most of the windows are C20 steel casements. A weatherooarded structure to the east of the house, which was a Medieval moot hall, has been moved to the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum at Singleton and re-erected in its original form.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.