You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 363362  

Print Page



©  Norman Wigg

IoE Number: 363362
Location: EWHURST PLACE, LANGLEY LANE
  CRAWLEY, CRAWLEY, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Norman Wigg
Date Photographed: 27 February 2004
Date listed: 21 June 1948
Date of last amendment: 23 February 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

IFIELD DRIVE5403Ewhurst Place(formerly listed underLangley Lane)

IFIELD DRIVE 1. 5403 Ewhurst Place (formerly listed under Langley Lane) TQ 23 NE 3/41 21.6.48 II* GV 2. Probably late C16 or early Cl7. Occupying an ancient moated site. An L-shaped timber- framed house of 2 storeys and attics, occupying the north-west angle of a rectangular moated enclosure. The main range, lying east and west, has brick foundations to west and north walls built beside the moat. Unbroken high-pitched roof with short hips at east and west ends. West wall has exposed timber-framing and tile-hanging in gable; south side has ground floor faced with C18 brick and first floor exposed timber- framing. The north wall has 3 wide chimneybreasts projecting from the wall face, late C16 or early C17, the stacks rebuilt but to the old design and using the old bricks; One is the remains of a tower, timber-framing of walling exposed between chimneybreasts also on east wall. Some of the timbers are of S form. The plaster filling is modern. A 2-storey wing, apparently contemporary, projects southward from the south side of the main range at the east end, its lower storey faced with C18 brick and the upper storey hung with pointed tiles. Roof of same pitch as the main range with a short hip at the south end, Horsham slabs to all roofs. Windows mostly modern casements with leaded panes, but some older casements. On the first floor internally are 2 small blocked windows with wood mullions, hollow chamfers, high up under the eaves, one on the west side of the wing, the other at the east end of the main range. Two mullioned windows behind panelling on ground floor. A good deal of the timber-framing is exposed in the interior. Ground floor room at the west end has some fine early C17 panelling with double moulded and mitred panels, a smaller panel set within a larger one. This was discovered under wallpaper. Fireback in chimney with date 1632 and the initials EIE. At the time it was built Ewhurst belonged to the Covert Family. (See S A C XLVII pages 144-7).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.