You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 363383  

Print Page



© Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS

IoE Number: 363383
Location: GATWICK MANOR INN, LONDON ROAD (east side)
  CRAWLEY, CRAWLEY, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Richard M. Brown FRICS
Date Photographed: 02 March 2007
Date listed: 21 June 1948
Date of last amendment: 23 February 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LONDON ROAD5403(east side)Hyders Hall Gatwick Manor Inn(formerly listed as Hyders

LONDON ROAD 1. 5403 (east side) Hyders Hall Gatwick Manor Inn (formerly listed as Hyders under Lowfield Heath) TQ 23 NE 3/61 21.6.48 II* 2. C15 open hall house altered circa 1600, 1700 and 1850. Formerly moated. Part of the moat still exists on the west side. Two bay open hall of which one bay remains with a cruciform crown post. (Extensions of 2 storeys red brick in English Bond tiled roof to south. North it retains its Horsham stone slabs. Massive central chimney-stacks. Three altered casements). At the west end the original panel and post partition with moulded bressumer remains in situ. A floor was inserted circa 1600 and a chimney constructed. At a later date the eastern portion of the hall and the rest of the range east of it were demolished and a stone wall built across the range a few feet east of the main truss dividing the hall. This wall of local Sussex stone has galleting in its joints. The main truss with massive cambered tie-beam, curved struts, crown post and 4 way struts to collar and central purlin remains in a bedroom above the ground floor room on the east side. Tie beam of western truss also exposed in west wall of bedroom. The ceiling in the ground floor room inserted circa 1700 has stop chamfered cross beams and joists. In the north wall towards the west end is a circa 1600 2 storey bay window with wood mullions, ovolo section, 4 lights wide, surmounted by a gable with mantled bargeboard and carved pendant. The original diamond mortices for the earlier tall hall window remain. The timber framing and plaster infilling of the south wall of the hall range can be seen from the passage behind the staircase. The 2 storey west end of the C15 range was taken down and rebuilt circa 1850 in red brick. About 1600 a 2 storey range with attics running east and west, was built parallel to the hall range a few feet to the south and linked to it at the west. Brick walls with stone mullioned windows. The 4 light window with transom and mullions of ovolo section in the upper storey of the east wall is original. The windows in the south wall are modern but the brickwork is original. Enough space was left between this range and the hall for a projecting staircase to be constructed on the north side circa 1600. This has turned balusters and newel posts with carved pendants and finials. The range is divided by a central chimney, giving 2 rooms to each floor. The 2 east rooms, ground and first floor, retain the original stone fireplaces with moulded jowls (double ogee) and head of circa 1600. Ceilings have exposed joists. In the west ground floor room are 2 moulded and stop chamfered ceiling beams. Oak chimney beam but fireplace bricked up. C20 additions east of hall range and west end of north side. A family De la Hyde and Atte Hyde occurs in documents of 1263, 1332 and 1378 (See Place - Names of Surrey). (See Joan M Harding, "Four Centuries of Charlwood Houses" p 46).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.