You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 365486  

Print Page



© Ms Mary Allison

IoE Number: 365486
Location: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, BLATCHINGTON ROAD (north side)
  HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Mary Allison
Date Photographed: 12 November 2005
Date listed: 02 November 1992
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOVETQ2805SEBLATCHINGTON ROAD579-1/14/9(North side)

HOVE TQ2805SE BLATCHINGTON ROAD 579-1/14/9 (North side) Holy Trinity Church GV II Church. 1863-4, tower built 1866, north aisle 1868, external pulpit added 1912, two robing rooms for the choir inserted under the gallery in 1949, one of which became the vicar's office in 1975. Designed by a local architect, James Woodman, (builder Mr Cane), in a style described variously as Lombardo-Gothic, Early English, or "one where the details are ignorant beyond belief"; possibly the ecclesiastical-eclectic style. Red brick with coloured brick in arches to window openings, Bath stone dressings including string courses and cornices, asbestos slate roofs, coped verges. Plan: 4-bay aisled nave, nave extended west with large gallery over vestry rooms, polygonal apse, north-east organ bay and south-east vestry with attached external pulpit; entrance via the base of the tower on south front. Crenellated 3-stage tower, 2-light bell-openings, arcade of interlocking arches on south front below clock, pointed arch openings at ground floor level now closed by glass doors, 2-stage stair turret on west front. The aisles are lit from the east end by rose windows, as is the west end of the nave. The flat-roofed external pulpit is built of red brick with Bath stone dressings and has Ionic pilasters supporting a cavetto moulded cornice. It is approached by a short flight of steps with an ashlar wall; studded plank door to pulpit. Interior rendered. Arch-braced roof to chancel carried on foliate corbels; scissor-brace to nave; unusual roof construction to aisles of 2 tiers of curved struts. Foliate capitals to arcade. Wooden gallery with pierced panels. Organ with stencilled pipes, 1883 by Harper of Bath; rebuilt 1926 and converted to electricity 1964. The font of Caen stone supported by columns of Sicilian marble was presented in 1878, the carved canopy in 1924. Sanctuary panelling, choir stalls and altar table date from 1924. Carpetted chancel. The pulpit, according to the church guidebook, originally "projected over the north edge of the chancel opening" but was replaced in 1934 by a freestanding wooden one. Stained glass by Ward and Hughes, with one window in the north aisle by Hardman. The intended spire was never built. This is the only church in the Brighton and Hove area with an external pulpit, indicative of the evangelical traditions of its early days. This also explains the dearth of contemporary fittings. An interesting church of its type, occupying a prominent position in an important street. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-; Anon: Holy Trinity, Hove; A Short History: 1976-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.