© Miss Esther Harbour
NOS 30-58, 30A AND 33A AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 30-58 BRUNSWICK SQUARE (west side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Miss Esther Harbour
26 May 2005
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
02 November 1992
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ2904SE BRUNSWICK SQUARE
579-1/23/19 (West side)
24/03/50 Nos.30-58, 30A AND 33A (Consecutive)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.1-33, 33A AND 34-58)
Terrace forming one half of Brunswick Square.
1825-27, minor alterations subsequently. Architects Amon Wilds
and C.A.Busby. Classical style.
Stucco over brick and rubble, moulded strings and cornices,
rusticated ground floors, some rear elevations still faced
with the original bungarouche, or beach pebbles, mansard slate
roofs mostly concealed behind parapet.
L-plan on sloping site: short north range returned to Nos 1-7
Brunswick Place (qv), No.58 abutting the south facing terrace
Nos 20-32 Brunswick Terrace (qv).
4 storeys over basement, Nos 34-42 five storeys, No 58 three
storeys; 3-window frontages, except No.30A & No.58 which are
double-fronted; all bow fronts apart from Nos 30-33A which are
flat-fronted, Nos 47 & 52 have full-height curved bay windows.
Sash windows mostly with out glazing bars, some blind boxes
surviving, original cast-iron balconies to first floor.
There are five different designs: Nos 30-33A have giant
Corinthian pilasters with balustraded parapet, entrance to
No.30 on return to Brunswick Place via flat-roofed Ionic
porch; Nos 34-42 have flat facades to ground floor,
balustraded parapet, Ionic columnar doorcases; Nos 48-51 & Nos
53-57 giant Ionic order, attic storey with triangular caps to
diminishing pilasters, Greek Doric doorcases; Nos 47 & 52 with
Ionic columns to first floor bay, pilasters above and
continous metope and triglyph from porch across ground floor:
Nos 53-57 alternate giant Ionic order and pilasters, attic
storey with triangular caps to diminishing pilasters, Greek
Doric doorcases; No.58 with Corinthian pilasters to double bow
front, balustraded parapet, round-headed entrance.
No.33A is on return to Brunswick Place, 4 storeys, 1:2:2 bays
with 2-window full-height bow. Variety of doors, mostly
half-glazed, approached by flights of steps. Cast-iron
railings returned from entrances along street frontage with
gates to areas.
Sir Hamilton Harty, conductor and composer, died at No.33 on
19 February 1941.
(Ray M: The Evolution of Brunswick Town Hove 1831-1881: Univ
of Sussex M Phil: 1986-).