© Miss Esther Harbour
NOS 1-6 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-6 BRUNSWICK TERRACE (north side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Miss Esther Harbour
01 August 2004
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ2904SE BRUNSWICK TERRACE
579-1/23/22 (North side)
24/03/50 Nos.1-6 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Terrace, now subdivided into flats. 1824-8, alterations to
attic storey mid-late C20. Architects Amon Wilds and
Stucco over brick, roofs of slate.
Plan: terrace of 6 units abutting block of flats to east.
3 storeys over basement plus attic, with additional storey in
centre 6 bays, 3:3:6:3:3 bays, mainly sash windows without
glazing bars, some French casement windows, full-height bow
fronts to penultimate 3 bays east and west, other bays
distinguished by use of giant Ionic order, (pilasters frame
the outer bays but the centre is all columns), moulded
entablature and minimal pediment over central 2 bays,
rusticated ground floor except to central 6 bays.
Segmental-headed openings to attic storey windows centre and
outer bays, moulded cornice, minimal pediments to penultimate
curved bays with lugged window surrounds, arched-head openings
on second floor with balustrades to these bays, renewed in
wood, heavy moulded cornice carried on trelliswork pilasters
right with cast-iron balustrade, renewed wooden pilasters and
balustrade left, remains of original cast-iron balustrades
also in seventh to tenth bays right.
Ground floor central pair of entrances flanked by plinths to
columns on floor above, incised decoration, large
segmental-headed window openings occupying 2 bays each,
similar plinths beyond, 3 bays right with original disengaged
Doric columns carrying entablature, 3 bays to left of centre
built-out with late C19-early C20 glazed infil in classical
style, entrances in fourth bays from end, outer bays with
arch-head windows, entrance to No.1 third bay right, to No.6
on left return; original 2 x 6 panel door to No.1 otherwise
late C19-early C20 half-glazed and panelled doors.
Entrances approached by shallow flights of steps, some
tessellated pavements. Left return of 8 bays.
Cast-iron railings returned from entrances along street
frontage with gates to areas.
(National Monuments Record: Photograph).