© Miss Esther Harbour
NOS 20-32 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 20-32 BRUNSWICK TERRACE
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Miss Esther Harbour
01 August 2004
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
02 November 1992
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ2904SE BRUNSWICK TERRACE
579-1/23/24 Nos.20-32 (Consecutive)
24/03/50 and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Terrace of dwellings, now subdivided into flats, and hotel.
1824-8, alterations to attic space early-late C20. Architects
Amon Wilds and C.A.Busby.
Stucco over brick exposed on left return, slate roofs. Terrace
forming the south return of the west side of Brunswick Square
3 storeys plus attic over basement, 3:12:9:12:3 bays forming
temple front with wings, with attic storey; 3 bays to each
unit, mixed glazing bars; pedimented centre tablet inscribed
Brunswick Terrace in raised lettering with viewing platform
fronting cupola, attic storey to outer bays, otherwise rebuilt
dormer windows set in roof space above moulded full
entablature carried on giant Corinthian columns centre and
outer bays, others pilasters with Corinthian capitals and
pilaster quoins, individual cast-iron balconies to first floor
windows, rusticated ground floor, some blind boxes surviving,
square-headed entrances, some original 2x5 panel doors
surviving, some with bootscrapers beside.
Left return onto Lansdowne Place: exposed brick with rendered
flat string courses and parapet; 3 storeys plus attic over
basement, 3 bays, central full-height bow with tripartite sash
windows, continuous first floor balcony to the bow, balcony
renewed C20, carried on 3-bay Greek Doric colonnade, ground
floor central sash window without glazing bars flanked by 2 x
6-panel doors (not in use) approached by shallow flights of
steps, blind bay to right, mixed glazing left.
The original bottle balustrading and coping to the parapet are
Cast-iron railings fronting street and returned to entrances.
No.26, the centre of the terrace, was once the home of Philip
Salomons (1796-1867), brother of Sir David Salomons, the first
Jewish Lord Mayor of London; the pepper-pot cupola contained a
private synagogue and later a museum of Jewish history.
(Transactions of the Jewish Historical Society of England:
Spector D: Brighton Jewry Reconsidered: 1987-1988).