No Image Available
CHURCH OF ST BARNABUS, BYRON STREET (north side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
10 September 1971
Date of last amendment:
02 November 1992
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ20NE BYRON STREET
579-1/3/26 (North side)
10/09/71 Church of St Barnabus
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Barnabas)
Church. 1882-3, carving of capitals completed 1923. Architect
J.L. Pearson. Early English style.
Knapped flint with red brick and Bath stone dressings, clay
tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles.
Cruciform in plan: apsidal ended chancel facing on to
Sackville Road, north and south transpets, NE organ bay and
vestry, SE Lady Chapel, 4-bay aisled nave with blind
clerestory, gabled porch in NE corner onto Coleridge Street,
entrance now in SW corner from Byron Street across the site of
the tower which was never built; there is a lead covered
fleche with bell over the crossing.
Interior: the originally exposed red brick has been
white-washed. Undivided nave and chancel with crownpost open
rafter roof, aisles rendered and cross vaulted. Marble tessera
pavement to sanctuary. A handsome square alabaster font on red
marble columns, oak pulpit and choir stalls all designed by
Pearson, the latter in 1893. Panelling in apse carved with
figures of saints, 1902. Large and ungainly reredos by
G.F.Bodley of Bodley and Garner, erected in 1907, the year of
the architect's death. The organ by J.C.Bishop and Son
occupies the south wall of the north transept; it was
purchased from St George's Chapel, Albemarle Street, London,
in 1904 and has since been rebuilt and enlarged. Gilded metal
rood screen early C20.
Unusual altar table in the Lady Chapel of gilded black laquer:
two sturdy legs of clustered columns with teardrop capitals
and an oak leaf decorated entablature, early C20 and rather
fine. Wooden eagle lecturn donated 1927; much stained glass: 5
lancets in chancel by Clayton and Bell. Striking West window,
a memorial to the dead of the First World War, dedicated 1923.
Three oil paintings on canvas including an early C19 version
of Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper measuring 10ft by 17ft.
A similar if not identical church design was offered by
Pearson for St Mathews, Silverhill, St Leonards in 1884. This
was completed more or less according to his plans, including
the tower which was not built at St. Barnabus.
(McDonald TJ: The First Century of St Barnabus: 1982-).