You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 365505  

Print Page



© Miss Esther Harbour

IoE Number: 365505
Location: CHURCH OF ST PATRICK AND WALL FRONTING ROAD, CAMBRIDGE ROAD (west side)
  HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Miss Esther Harbour
Date Photographed: 26 May 2005
Date listed: 02 November 1992
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOVETQ2904NECAMBRIDGE ROAD579-1/19/27(West side)

HOVE TQ2904NE CAMBRIDGE ROAD 579-1/19/27 (West side) Church of St Patrick and wall fronting road GV II Church. 1858, minor additions 1870s. Architect Edward Kendall junior. East window and NE window of nave designed by William Butterfield. Early English style. Kentish rag stone, stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, shallow pyramid slate roof to stump of tower. Plan: abutting buildings to north and south, only the east elevation is visible. The latter is the liturgical south front and the following orientations are liturgical. Cruciform plan, chancel with 2-bay south chapel abutting base of SE tower, 3-bay north chapel, 6-bay aisled nave with clerestory, SW porch with hallway or narthex. Only the south front of the church is visible, gabled porch, 2-stage stair turret with ashlar tourelle, gabled clerestory windows projecting through the nave roof, gabled tops to aisle buttresses, large south window in gable end of south chapel, buttressed stump of 2-stage tower with pyramid roof. Interior; rendered, chancel stencilled and painted by Clayton and Bell, 1890-1. Ceiled hammer beam roof to chancel with carved wooden angels, similar open roof to nave without angels. Much stained glass. Henry Willis organ installed 1856 in the north chapel, resited on the north wall of the tower overlooking the chancel in 1906. Brass lectern by William Butterfield 1873. Reredos by Somers Clark 1887. Pulpit of stone and marble by Sir Gilbert Scott. Alabaster font with tall gilded wooden canopy and pulley system installed in 1910. Fourteen paintings of the Stations of the Cross, of a much higher standard than those usually found; oil on canvass, designed by Louis Ginnett and executed after his death in 1946 by Charles Knight, both local artists. Seating removed and chairs arranged in a circle in the nave. The crypt, accessible from the narthex, is used as a shelter for the homeless. In the late C19 the church was famous throughout Brighton and Hove for its music, having a surpliced choir of over 80 men and boys. Critics referred to it as "Paddy's Music Hall". A spacious interior, effectively lit, with a good collection of late Victorian fittings. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.