You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 365514  

Print Page

©  Tim Belcher

IoE Number: 365514
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
Photographer: Tim Belcher
Date Photographed: 04 July 2007
Date listed: 24 March 1950
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOVETQ2804NECHURCH ROAD579-1/17/36(North side)

HOVE TQ2804NE CHURCH ROAD 579-1/17/36 (North side) 24/03/50 Church of St Andrew GV II* Parish church. Late Norman nave and aisles with west tower, C13 chancel, ruinous by the C16, tower collapsed 1801 bringing down with it the end bay of nave, church rebuilt encasing the surviving aisles 1834-6, west gallery added 1839, NE vestry 1841, restored 1880. Architect George Basevi, builders Butler and Son of Paddington, restoration by J.T.Chappell, builder. Norman style with Early English chancel and vestry. Coursed pebbles, coped verges, slate roof, large stone slabs to porch roof, use of cement in restoration work. Plan: chancel, NE vestry, 5-bay aisled nave, 3-stage west tower with stair turret, south porch. The exterior features of the church are all C19. Interior rendered, panelled dado to aisles. C19 tie beam chancel roof, boarded and panelled; nave with original tie-beam and crown post roof with curved struts in all but western bay; shallow pitch aisle roofs with tie beams. Fat, round Norman columns with foliate capitals and pointed arches to arcade. C19 chancel arch. Gallery at west end, tower arch C19. Chancel wall covered with mosaics, 1880. Elegant brass lectern, wooden pulpit with brass handrail in Gothic style 1880. Vault numbers on the paving slabs in nave. A number of memorials of historical interest including one to members of the Basevi family: tablet to the painter Copley Fielding, died 1856, with a poem; Greek Revival style wall tablet to Elizabeth Yard died 1836 with a roundel depicting an angel taking her up to heaven; wall tablet with medallion portrait of Lt Sandeman, died 1852, surrounded by mourning figures. This was the original parish church of Hove. In 1531 the parish was amalgamated with the larger and more important one of Preston; they were not separated until 1879 when St Andrews again became the parish church for 13 years, until All Saints (qv) replaced it. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.