© Tim Belcher
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
04 July 2007
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ2804NE CHURCH ROAD
579-1/17/36 (North side)
24/03/50 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Late Norman nave and aisles with west tower,
C13 chancel, ruinous by the C16, tower collapsed 1801 bringing
down with it the end bay of nave, church rebuilt encasing the
surviving aisles 1834-6, west gallery added 1839, NE vestry
1841, restored 1880.
Architect George Basevi, builders Butler and Son of
Paddington, restoration by J.T.Chappell, builder.
Norman style with Early English chancel and vestry. Coursed
pebbles, coped verges, slate roof, large stone slabs to porch
roof, use of cement in restoration work.
Plan: chancel, NE vestry, 5-bay aisled nave, 3-stage west
tower with stair turret, south porch. The exterior features of
the church are all C19.
Interior rendered, panelled dado to aisles. C19 tie beam
chancel roof, boarded and panelled; nave with original
tie-beam and crown post roof with curved struts in all but
western bay; shallow pitch aisle roofs with tie beams. Fat,
round Norman columns with foliate capitals and pointed arches
to arcade. C19 chancel arch. Gallery at west end, tower arch
C19. Chancel wall covered with mosaics, 1880. Elegant brass
lectern, wooden pulpit with brass handrail in Gothic style
1880. Vault numbers on the paving slabs in nave.
A number of memorials of historical interest including one to
members of the Basevi family: tablet to the painter Copley
Fielding, died 1856, with a poem; Greek Revival style wall
tablet to Elizabeth Yard died 1836 with a roundel depicting an
angel taking her up to heaven; wall tablet with medallion
portrait of Lt Sandeman, died 1852, surrounded by mourning
This was the original parish church of Hove. In 1531 the
parish was amalgamated with the larger and more important one
of Preston; they were not separated until 1879 when St Andrews
again became the parish church for 13 years, until All Saints
(qv) replaced it.
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).