© Mr Jonathan Brooks
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HANGLETON WAY (west side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Mr Jonathan Brooks
08 June 2005
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ20NE HANGLETON WAY, Hangleton
579-1/3/159 (West side)
24/03/50 Church of St Helen
Parish church. C12 nave, C13 tower, chancel c1300, C14 and C15
wall paintings, minor restorations 1870 and 1929, porch and
vestry added 1949, tower embattled and reroofed, wallpaintings
Coursed flint pebble facing, laid in herringbone pattern to
nave, Caen stone quoins, clay tile roofs, pyramid roof to
Plan: chancel, 3-bay nave, west tower, north porch and vestry.
2-stage crenellated tower, 2 lancets on west front, irregular
fenestration to south wall of nave with lancets flanking
round-arch head doorway and tiny stairlight window at east
end, 2 lancets to chancel, 3-light East window, 2 lancets to
north wall of chancel, another tiny stairlight at east end of
nave, porch with round arch doorway with double doors and
upper lights, vestry abutting porch to west, lit by one window
on south front.
Interior not inspected. Said to contain remains of wall
paintings discovered on the north wall during the restoration
works in 1949; these include early C13 scrollwork in the
splays of one of the windows, and other C14 and C15 work
though barely visible. The chancel arch has been removed.
Piscina in south-east corner of nave. C14 Gothic-style wooden
screen, panelling and reredos erected 1925 in memory of
William Nevett. Unusual survival of red brick floor. Pulpit
from St Leonards, Aldrington (qv). Unidentified slab from
table tomb in chancel depicting a husband and wife in
Elizabethan costume with 4 sons, 5 daughters and 5 coffins
representing deceased infants. Tondo or pieta to Henry
Willett, the Brighton brewer, died 1905.
Unlike other churches in the area, St Helens has been in
continuous use and largely escaped C19 restoration due to its
then isolated position.
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-; Middleton J: A History of