You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 365549  

Print Page



© Mr Jonathan Brooks

IoE Number: 365549
Location: BISHOP HANNINGTON MEMORIAL CHURCH, HOLMES AVENUE (east side)
  HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Jonathan Brooks
Date Photographed: 12 June 2005
Date listed: 02 November 1992
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOVETQ20NEHOLMES AVENUE, West Blatchington579-1/3/177(East side)

HOVE TQ20NE HOLMES AVENUE, West Blatchington 579-1/3/177 (East side) Bishop Hannington Memorial Church II Parish church. 1938-9 by Edward Maufe. Day centre addition 1970s. Brown brick laid in stretcher bond, stepped brick cornice, hipped panile roofs, flat roof to day centre, pyramid roof to tower. Plan: chancel, north-east organ bay, south-east Lady chapel, tower over crossing, 5-and-a-half bay nave with low single-storey aisles, west end gallery and entrance; day centre addition on north front in similar style. Tall 3-stage tower with 2 and three 4-centred arch openings with wooden louvres to bell-stage, double doors on to wrought-iron balcony on north front of second stage, entrance to north aisle and nave via day centre addition which masks much of north front. 5 pointed arch metal windows with divided tracery lighting nave, similar on south front, west end with recessed pointed arch opening with ornamental brickwork. West window, west door flanked by small 2-light windows, double doors with painted lead lintel inscribed "In this place I will give peace saith the Lord". Datestone to left of entrance inscribed "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Lord Bishop of Chichester the 26th day of November 1938 in memory of James Hannington 1st Bishop of East Equitorial Africa". Above it is a smaller stone with a martyr's crown in relief and the words "29 Oct 1885 Uganda". South front with low single storey aisle with 2-light windows. Interior: roughcast. Unmoulded 4-centred chancel arch. Pitched roof to centre of nave rising from flat ceiling with square cross-shaped panels thought to be for ventilation, exposed acoustic panels between between pale blue stained wooden rafter and purlin roof stencilled in silver with motifs representing the bishop-martyr's crown, stars and wavey lines for the sea. Chancel roof rendered with painted panels forming a 'tester' over the altar table. Original light fittings of paper or cloth in the form of a martyr's crown. West gallery with exposed acoustic panels. Identical pulpit-podiums of sculptural simplicity at east end of nave. Unmoulded pointed arch openings to aisle bays, also to aisle window recesses and supporting the flat roof of the aisle. Chancel floor of travertine marble, nave of Sussex beech cut on the quarter. East end wall with large tempera painting by Augustus Lunn, the result of a competition, representing Christ preparing his followers to preach the gospel. Bishop Hannington, to whom the church is dedicated, was murdered by Masai tribesmen in 1885 while on his journey to Uganda to set up the first bishopric of East Equatorial Africa; hence the frequent use of the martyr's crown motif. A simple and gracious interior with some good detailing, including brasswork to doors and star-shaped window catches in the Lady Chapel, by Maufe, who was concurrently engaged on designs for Guildford Cathedral.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.