You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 365551  

Print Page



© Mr Jonathan Brooks

IoE Number: 365551
Location: WEST BLATCHINGTON MILL AND BARNS, HOLMES AVENUE
  HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Jonathan Brooks
Date Photographed: 12 June 2005
Date listed: 24 March 1950
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1992
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOVE TQ20NE HOLMES AVENUE, West Blatchington 579-1/3/179 West Blatchington Windmill 24/03/50 (Formerly Listed as: HOLMES AVENUE West Blatchington Mill and Barns) GV II* Former windmill for milling corn with adjoining barn, now restored as museum. c1820, restored 1937, 1966 and 1970s, opened to the public 1976. Weather-boarded body and cap, base and barn made of pebble and knapped flint with brick quoins and dressings, half-hipped slate roof to barn. Plan: hexagonal smock mill with fantail and 4 sails, or sweeps; barn abutting south side and truncated remains of another abutting to east. The 3 lower floors of the mill have circular window openings and a round-headed blocked doorway on the north front. Entrance on the south front via segmental-headed opening in the barn. The sails are permenantly locked on the south side. Interior: not seen. Said to contain original machinery including an auxiliary iron bevel drive for the thresher on the loading floor; an interesting A-frame support for the spur wheel and main upright on the spout floor, which is an authenticated re-use of ships timbers; and radial beam construction supporting the dust floor visible from the bin floor. Milling ceased around 1900, the fantail was removed in 1934, and barns to the south-west were destroyed by fire in 1936, although the mill was undamaged. It was purchased by Hove Corporation and opened to the public by The Friends of West Blatchington Windmill. The mill was painted by Constable in 1825; reproduction of this watercolour and old photographs of the mill and barns are on view inside the building.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.