You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 365592  

Print Page



© Miss Esther Harbour

IoE Number: 365592
Location: REMAINS OF MEDIEVAL MANORHOUSE, ABOUT 150 METRES WEST OF ST MARY'S CONVENT, MANOR ROAD (west side)
  HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Miss Esther Harbour
Date Photographed: 12 May 2005
Date listed: 19 July 1950
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1992
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOVE TQ2506SE MANOR ROAD, Portslade 579-1/10/170 (West side) 19/07/50 Remains of medieval manorhouse, about 150m West of St Mary's Convent (Formerly Listed as: PORTSLADE MANOR ROAD, Old Portslade Remains of medieval house in garden of St Mary's Convent) GV II* Remains of medieval manor house, obscured by vegetation and not accessible at time of survey. C12, altered C16;subsequently the building fell into decay and was stripped for materials in the early C19, later it was used as a rubbish tip. Random rubble flint pebbles. L-plan shown on OS map. There are thought to be four sections of wall survivng including one section built into the boundary wall of St Mary's Convent (qv), and a piece in the north-west corner standing about 6m high. The 2-light round-headed window referred to in the previous list has been taken down and is in safe storage with Hove Borough Council. Some of the materials from the medieval manor house can be found in the ruin with grotto (qv) adjoining St Mary's Convent (qv), and the boundary walls of the Church of St Nicolas (qv). Scheduled Ancient Monument. (NMR: Photograph; ).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.