© Mr Jonathan Brooks
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, NEW CHURCH ROAD (north side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Mr Jonathan Brooks
15 July 2005
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington
579-1/3/151 (North side)
24/03/50 Church of St Leonard
Parish church. 1878 nave (now south aisle) and tower on site
of former medieval church, 1936 nave, chancel and spire.
Architect of C19 work Richard Herbert Carpenter, C20 work by
Dressed knapped flint, squared and coursed, stone dressings
and quoins, north wall of brick, clay tile roof, coped verges,
broached spire with wooden shingles.
Plan: 6-bay nave with south aisle, south-west tower, chancel,
north-east brick addition, south-east vestry and south porch
(no longer used), entrance now via west end of nave.
Low, setback buttresses to 2-stage tower, 2-light louvred
bell-openings, 3 lancet windows either side of timber-framed
south porch with ornate bargeboards. Date stone in plinth of
chancel inscribed "This stone was laid with full masonic ---
by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons
of Sussex, Major R.Lawrence Thornton CBE on the day of the 6
Interior: rendered. Chancel: arch braced scissor truss roof,
nave and south aisle with boarded and ceiled barrel vault
roofs. Arcade of chamfered piers, pointed arches chamfered in
2 orders. Stained glass: East window dated 1948. Chancel with
fine display of Minton floor tiles; sedilia and piscina.
Replica medieval font.
The C13 parish church was described as ruinous in 1638 and
between the mid C18 and early C19 the parish of Aldrington was
deserted. If anything of the medieval church remained in the
1870s, it did not survive the rebuilding. The North aisle
planned in 1936 was not built.
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).