You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 365599  

Print Page



© Mr Jonathan Brooks

IoE Number: 365599
Location: CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, NEW CHURCH ROAD (north side)
  HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Jonathan Brooks
Date Photographed: 15 July 2005
Date listed: 02 November 1992
Date of last amendment: 02 November 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HOVETQ20NENEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington579-1/3/152(North side)

HOVE TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington 579-1/3/152 (North side) Church of St Philip II Parish church, altered to include parish hall. Opened for services 1893, described as still unfinished in 1899, early C20 end 3 bays converted into parish hall. Architect probably John Oldred Scott. Red brick, squared and coursed flints, ashlar dressings, slate roof, lead roof to apse of Lady Chapel, wooden shingles to fleche. Plan: 6 and a half bay nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, western 3 bays closed off to form parish hall, 2-storey Lady Chapel with buttressed polygonal apse, priest's door with porch, north-east vestry, entrance on south front through double doors without porch. Diaperwork brick on flint above heads of the 10 clerestory windows linked by continuous entablature, chequerboard ashlar stone and dressed flint below, one flying buttress of painted brick between south aisle and nave, chequerboard parapet to aisles with paired lancet windows, gable fronted priest's porch with diaperwork brick on flint, rose window, 5-bay arcade to south front of Lady Chapel with 4 lancets, arcade continued around apse with stone shafts, brick spandrels and plinth, flintwork surrounds to lancet windows, setback buttresses to east end, chequerboard stone and flint in gable end, diaper work brick on flint, brick relieving arch to 3-light East window flanked by blind arcades; 2-light west window. Interior: chequerboard brick and ashlar work nave. Ceiled chancel roof, flat open rafter roof with asbestos sheeting to nave, monopitch rafter roofs to aisles. Pointed chancel arch of brick, chamfered in 3 orders and dying into imposts. Three and a half bay arcade with round, banded piers of stone carrying pointed arches. Five bay arcade to south wall of chancel separating the Lady Chapel. Matchboard dado with modillion-moulded rail to nave and aisles. West end glazed in upper portion with large mural occupying lower half of wall. Brass eagle lectern. Late C19 6-branch candelabra. Carved angels surmounting columns forming curtain railing around altar. Stone font of clustered marble columns. Stained glass to East window. Chair seating. Lady Chapel and parish hall not inspected. A fine exterior. John Oldred Scott is credited as the architect in the Goodhart-Rendel Index of Victorian Churches located in the R.I.B.A. however the church is not mentioned in Scott's obituary in The Builder, June 1913, Vol.104, p.650-1.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.