© Miss Esther Harbour
METHODIST CHURCH, PORTLAND ROAD (north side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Miss Esther Harbour
16 September 2005
02 November 1992
Date of last amendment:
30 March 1993
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ20NE PORTLAND ROAD
579-1/3/98 (North side)
Methodist Church with walls piers,
stairway, lamps and gates
Methodist church. 1895. Architect John Wills.
Red brick, stone dressings, coped verges, concrete tile roof,
bell turret to roof ridge.
Plan: rectangular 5-bay block with internal galleries on three
sides accessible via stair turrets on (liturgical) south-west
and north-west corners, internal porch, double entrance
approached by double stair, basement below. Buttressed west
gable end flanked by buttressed tourelles, large rose window
resting on 6 lancets set on moulded string, gabled double
porch, 2 double doors with very ornate hinges, 2-light windows
to gable stair turrets; north and south fronts symmetrical
with 3 tiers of 2-light windows between full-height
Stairway on west front: double stair with gatepiers, gates and
walls returned to south-west and north-west corners of church.
Double stair with moulded ashlar coping and recessed panels in
retaining wall fronting street; simple cast-iron handrail,
cast-iron gates between square piers with moulded pyramid
ashlar caps embellished with trefoil decoration, 2 with ornate
electric lamp standards.
Interior: wooden gallery carried on cast-iron columns with
foliate capitals, wooden balcony. Ceiled and boarded
hammerbeam roof. Good collection of original fittings
including reader's desk and organ bay at east end. Rather
opulent interior for a Methodist church, reflecting the
affluence and vitality of the congregation at the turn of the