© Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE DRIVE (east side)
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Mr Cyril Selby LRPS, LMPA
23 October 2005
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ2905SW THE DRIVE
579-1/15/120 (East side)
24/03/50 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Nave and aisles 1889-91, East end completed
1901, base of tower and narthex completed 1924. Architect
J.L.Pearson, work continued after his death in 1897 by his son
C13 French Gothic style.
Sussex sandstone, slate roofs, coped verges.
Plan: chancel with north-east and south-east chapels, north
vestry, north and south transepts which are continuations of
the aisles, 5-bay aisled nave, narthex and base of south-west
Interior: ashlar stone. Arcade of clustered columns with
pointed arches in C13 style, stone ribs to roof rising between
clerestory windows, wooden open rafter roof to nave, monopitch
roofs to aisles, stone vaults to west end bays, 3-tiers of
windbracing to chancel.
Chancel: reredos carved by Nathaniel Hitch, as were 5 seats in
north wall and sedilia in south wall. Brass altar rails.
Highly ornate choir stalls carved with figures, donated 1915.
Finely carved wooden screen with canopy between south chapel
and south transept, given in memory of those who died in the
First World War.
Wrought-iron screen to north chapel dating from 1940s.
Sumptuous organ case designed by Frank Pearson and built 1915,
organ 1905 by William Hill and Son. Octagonal marble font,
ornate cover with pulley dated 1928. Brass eagle lectern. Fine
stained glass by Clayton and Bell, all designed by Clement
Bell, 3 east windows, large west window, rose window to north
transept, and elsewhere in the aisles.
There is said to be a statue of the founder and first
incumbent, the Rev Thomas Peacey in the south-west corner of
the second stage of the tower; Peacey had earlier commissioned
Pearson to build St Barnabus, Byron St (qv). The tower was
All Saints became the parish church of Hove in 1892. A
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).