© Mr Jonathan Brooks
HOVE, BRIGHTON AND HOVE, EAST SUSSEX
Mr Jonathan Brooks
20 July 2005
07 June 1971
Date of last amendment:
02 November 1992
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ2806NE WOODLAND DRIVE, West Blatchington
579-1/8/180 (East side)
07/06/71 Boiler and Engine House at Goldstone
(Formerly Listed as:
The Goldstone Pumping Station)
Boiler house and engine house of Goldstone Pumping station,
now museum known as the British Engineerium.
1866 for the Brighton Hove and Preston Constant Service Water
Supply Company, engineers Easton and Amos, enlarged with west
engine house in 1876 for the Brighton Water Corporation,
engineers Eastons and Anderson, ceased to be fully operational
in the late 1940s, restored 1974-6.
Polychrome brickwork, yellow, red and blue-purple, with some
moulded brick, slate roofs with skylights, coped verges.
Plan: 2-storey beam engine houses flanking single storey
boilerhouse, No.1 beam engine to east dismanted and now
museum, No 2 beam engine (west) fully operational, fuel
economiser room on north front, underground tunnel linking
former coal shed (qv) to west, remains of underground railway
South front: gable-fronted 2-storey, 3-bay engine houses,
pediment to gable end, bracketed cornice, all cast-iron
windows, linked entablature to round-headed window openings,
continuous decorative string linking whole range, rusticated
ground floors with central round-headed doorways, fanlights
and panelled double doors flanked by round-headed windows, all
with linked entablatures; central single-storey range of 3
bays, similar windows flanking central bay which projects
forward with strongly moulded cornice, segmental-headed
opening, fanlight, panelled double doors with ornamental metal
4-bay return right, renewed cast-iron railings returned from
entrance north around west front.
Operational Eastons and Anderson beam engine dated 1872, 4
boilers by Yates and Thom, Blackburn, dated 1934, E. Green and
Son fuel economiser.