You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 36589  

Print Page



© Mr Derek E. Wharton

IoE Number: 36589
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, HIGH STREET (south side)
  THURLEIGH, BEDFORD, BEDFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Derek E. Wharton
Date Photographed: 07 February 2004
Date listed: 13 July 1964
Date of last amendment: 13 July 1964
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 05NETHURLEIGHHIGH STREET (South Side)4/186Parish Church of Saint13.7.64Peter

TL 05NE THURLEIGH HIGH STREET (South Side) 4/186 Parish Church of Saint 13.7.64 Peter GV II* Parish church. Circa 1130, C14, C15, restored 1880's, clerestory removed 1970-1. Coursed limestone rubble, mainly ashlar dressings, but ironstone dressings to chacel S windows. Mainly C20 roof coverings but clay tiles to S porch. Central tower, chancel, nave, N and S aisles and S porch. Tower : lower part Norman, top part rebuilt C15. Eroded S doorway, round-headed, in 2 square orders, with billet label and tympanum showing Adam and Eve. Small round-headed windows to N and S, also lancet to S. Top stage has C15 2-light windows to all sides. C20 short leaded spire. Traces of former N chapel. C14 2-bay chancel: 3-light E window. S wall has C14 low-side window, plain doorway and piscina recess, and 2 C15 4-centred windows. E wall retains plain parapet. C15 4-bay nave: arcades both sides, large 4- centred W window and NE rood/tower staircase. C15 N aisle: some windows restored C19. Cinquefoiled piscina set into angle of rood stairs. C15 S aisle: again, some C19 restoration of windows. Cinquefoiled stoup to S wall. C15 S porch: square- headed 2-light windows to each side, and pointed arch under square head. Interior: C15 octagonal font with carved decoration including shields. Early C15 floor brass to knight in nave. 1590 wall brass to Edmond Daye in S aisle S wall. Remains of original roof to aisles, chancel roof possibly from a 1619 restoration.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.