You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 366208  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 366208
Location: CLOPTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED FORMER STABLE BLOCK,WALLS AND GATE PIERS, CLOPTON ROAD
  STRATFORD UPON AVON, STRATFORD ON AVON, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 22 April 2005
Date listed: 25 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 04 April 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON SP25NW CLOPTON ROAD, Clopton 604-1/2/295 Clopton House and attached former 25/10/51 stable block, walls and gate piers (Formerly Listed as: CLOPTON Clopton House) II* Country house and attached coach house, now flats, with walls and piers. c1600 nucleus with north porch and bay window; 1665-70 south and east ranges; north and west wings, mostly c1840 restoration or rebuild; 1843 coachhouse. Brick, at one time painted or stuccoed, with ashlar and stucco dressings; hipped tile roof with brick stacks, including 2 panelled cross-axial stacks. PLAN: quadrangular plan. Restoration style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; south facade of 7 bays with projecting 3-bay pedimented centre. Stucco plinth and platt band; ashlar quoins and cornice to central brick platt band; top wood modillion cornice and pediment. Entrance has architrave, rusticated flat arch and segmental pediment with the Clopton arms mounted on the crest; paired half-glazed doors. Windows to centre have ashlar surrounds with moulded jambs and 9/6-pane sashes, narrow return windows with similar brick surrounds and 2 windows with 12-pane sashes to tympanum of pediment flanking the arms of Sir Edward Weston (father-in-law to Sir John Clopton); windows to ends have stucco surrounds, formerly brick, and 12-pane sashes, 9/6-pane sashes to 1st floor; 2 gabled C20 dormers with 9-pane windows. Right return similar; 7-bay range; entrance to left of centre has brick and timber porch with embossed lead panels and paired doors with clad with embossed lead and panel over with raised lettering: FHH/ INSTAURAVIT/ 1904. Bowed projection to right end has cornice and C20 pebbledash; windows with bowed 6-pane margin-light sashes. Windows with stucco surrounds and 3 dormers with moulded pediments. North elevation has 2-storey porch with gable to each side, rubble with timber-framed 1st floor, round-headed entrance with panelled pilasters and archivolt with flanking terms, return 2-light windows and 1st-floor cross-casements; polygonal bay window to right end has pilasters, entablature and panelled parapet, 5 single-chamfered cross-mullioned windows; small-paned glazing; other windows with small-paned casements with pointed lights. 2-bay return of east range to left end; right end gable with barge-boards. West elevation has small-paned casements and 12-pane horned sashes; 3 lateral stacks. Courtyard has 2 stair turrets, one with pyramidal roof and one gabled; 2-storey canted bay window to south. INTERIOR: south range has central ground-floor room with c1600 panelling, fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch, and C19 turned piers and overmantel incorporating some C16 elements; window has much early C19 armorial stained glass recording marriages of Clopton, Warde, Hodgson and Walker families; some earlier quarries of flowers etc; plaster ceiling with cornices; floorboards in big square panels; room to right has overmantel pilasters set with majolica. East range has open well stair with panelled pilasters with C20 lamps and turned balusters; moulded plaster ceiling has Clopton arms on displayed-eagle crest in laurel wreath; 1st floor room has late C17 bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and bolection-moulded fireplace with panelled pilasters; rich plaster entablature with swags. Staircases flanking courtyard, one spiral with some turned balusters, one with splat balusters. Attic room was a chapel, probably originally for C16 recusant Catholics, recorded as having wall painting of biblical texts in heart-shaped frame and late C17 altar rail with heavy turned balusters. Coachhouse has gabled south elevation with 11 round arches, some with door pegs, Warde arms and date: 1843 to gable; attached by short wall to house, and short wall to west has panelled brick gatepier to end, with ashlar cornice and ball finial. West elevation has 2 gabled wings flanking large segmental-headed openings with late C20 glazing, other C20 openings; clock turret with relief enrichment and wind vane. Attached wall to north-west angle ends in gatepier with rampant lion with cartouche. Attached archway to north with range extending to east. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was the home of the Clopton family until the C18; it is believed to have been visited by Shakespeare and is one of several places where he is said to have been married. The house was rented in 1605 by Ambrose Rockwood, one of the Gunpowder Plot conspirators. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 234; Information from Local Authority Conservation Officer).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.