You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 366434  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 366434
Location: WELCOMBE HOTEL, WARWICK ROAD (north side)
  STRATFORD UPON AVON, STRATFORD ON AVON, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 13 May 2005
Date listed: 09 February 1972
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1972
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STRATFORD-UPON-AVONSP25NWWARWICK ROAD, Welcombe604-1/2/330(North West side)

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON SP25NW WARWICK ROAD, Welcombe 604-1/2/330 (North West side) 09/02/72 Welcombe Hotel GV II* Country house, hotel from 1931. 1866-c1880. By Thomas Newby to designs by Henry Clutton; for Mark Philips; early C20 range. Brick with ashlar dressings; slate roofs with many brick stacks with diagonal shafts and ashlar caps. Main range with attached family range to north, with service range to west; C20 range attached to south. Jacobean style. East, garden, front of 2 storeys; 3-window range. Ashlar plinth and string courses, cornice and ashlar-coped parapet with 3 shaped gables. Central 2-storey canted bay window with 2:4:2-light double-chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, pierced-work parapet and strapwork cresting; similar rectangular bays to ends have 4-light transomed window; cross-mullioned windows between bays; terrace with stone steps; left return has projecting wing and canted bay window; pierced parapet and pinnacles. Family range to right, connected by terrace with pierced parapet over Tudor arches and C20 infill block to ground floor, of 3 storeys with attic; plainer details; two 3-storey canted bay windows of 1:3:1 transomed lights with plain parapets flank entrance with glazed doors with cross-mullion windows above; two 3-light attic windows with shaped gabes; low service range to right has blind Tudor arcading. C20 wing of 2 storeys with attic; 4x4-window range attached to main range by short corridor; simple details; cross-mullion windows and end 2-storey 1:3:1-light canted bay windows with plain parapets; attic windows of 2 or 3 lights and end shaped gables. Rear has similar details: 3-window range with 1:4:1-light double transomed canted bay window with foundation stone, and similar flanking windows 3-light transomed windows to 1st floor; 3-bay porch to right has pilasters and parapet with ball finials; Tudor-headed entrance with glazed doors and 2 cross-mullioned windows. Stair wing to left has 4-light window to ground floor and 3-light windows above. Service wing to left end has Tudor-headed entrance to right of centre and cross-mullioned windows; iron area railings. Courtyard to north end has segmental-headed windows. INTERIOR: much faceted panelling with roundels and strapwork; similar 4-panel doors. Great Hall has coffered ceiling with pendants; large black marble fireplace with Tudor arch, twisted columns and Philips arms; open-well staircase with strapwork balustrade, enriched closed string and tapering square newels; landing has Tudor-arched arcade on fluted and strapwork columns; rich entablature and coffered ceiling; front right room has similar details, pilasters and strapwork to bay windows, rich scrolly pelmets and C20 bar in similar style. 1st floor has rooms with ashlar and marble fireplaces, some with inset polished stones or faceted panels; much original furniture remains. HISTORICAL NOTE: Mark Philips, 1800-73, was an important Manchester politician, one of the 1st members of Parliament for Manchester in 1832, who was much involved in reform and education; he retired to his Warwickshire estate in 1847. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 467; Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 10, 45-7; Focus: Bearman R: Welcombe Hotel: 1980-: 8-9).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.