You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 366663  

Print Page



© Mr Wilfred N. Winder

IoE Number: 366663
Location: HIGH LIGHTHOUSE, WEST STREET
  HARWICH, TENDRING, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr Wilfred N. Winder
Date Photographed: 13 August 2002
Date listed: 30 June 1964
Date of last amendment: 30 June 1964
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HARWICHTM2652SWWEST STREET609-1/3/149High Lighthouse

HARWICH TM2652SW WEST STREET 609-1/3/149 High Lighthouse 30/06/64 GV II* Lighthouse, now disused. 1818. By Daniel Asher Alexander. For General Rebow. Contractor John Rennie the Elder. Of yellow stock bricks with stone dressings. Tall 9-sided tapering shaft with stone 'tent' roof with wide eaves overhang and lotus finial. EXTERIOR: tall cruciform plan chimneystack rises on NW from stone corbel. 3 adjoining faces to SE one recessed to form light opening. These 3 faces are organised to form symmetrical composition, in lower part, with projecting stone slab canopy surmounted by band of stone blind arches. Below this is a window and entrance door, on 'first floor' with stone surround and hood on consoles. Series of irregularly placed windows to internal staircase with small pane double-hung sashes, moulded hoods and stone surrounds all with a slight 'Egyptian' flavour. Flight of stone stairs leads up to entrance and has wrought-iron handrail with forked balusters of serpentine profile. Stone slab at entrance is cantilevered. Similar but plainer door surround at ground level with pair of 3 flush panelled doors. Circular stone curb, formerly with railings, around base.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.