You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 368871  

Print Page



© Mr Adam Watson

IoE Number: 368871
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, DUNCAN TERRACE (west side)
  ISLINGTON, ISLINGTON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Adam Watson
Date Photographed: 13 May 2006
Date listed: 29 September 1972
Date of last amendment: 29 September 1972
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ISLINGTONTQ3183SEDUNCAN TERRACE635-1/65/373(West side)

ISLINGTON TQ3183SE DUNCAN TERRACE 635-1/65/373 (West side) 29/09/72 Church of St John GV II Roman Catholic church. 1841-43 by Joseph John Scoles, the towers slightly later, with a new roof of c.1901, and the interior re-ordered in 1964 and 1973. Red brick set in Flemish bond to Duncan Terrace, yellow brick behind, stone dressings, roof of Welsh slate and lead. Nave, apsidal chancel, and side chapels in the place of aisles, all under a single roof. Neo-Romanesque in style. Principal gabled front to the east, flanked by towers. Central, round-arched, portal with two Caernarvon-arched doorways; three round-arched windows at gallery level with sill- and springing-bands; wheel window in the gable. The south tower is divided into three stages, the first and second flanked by engaged columns; the first stage has a single round-arched portal with Caernarvon-arched doorway; the second stage has two round-arched windows one above the other; the third, belfry stage stands detached above the body of the building, with round-arched openings flanked by brick pilasters, and eaves cornice of oversailing brick, to each side; pyramidal roof of lead. The north tower follows the same design except that it is higher, having a short third stage of blank brick arcading, and then a fourth, belfry stage with two round-arched openings and eaves cornice in the form of machicolated brickwork; broach spire of lead. The simple interior continues the Neo-Romanesque theme with round arches with engaged columns and stiff-leaf capitals between the nave and side chapels, and between the nave and the apsidal chancel, and a similar arcade to the clerestory; later roof of hammer beam construction. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.